
I miss doing Super Saturdays so much! It is such a fun way to learn how to do new things although sometimes things don't turn out the way you'd hoped. But I am so excited by how my latest project turned out that I thought I'd share it. It is SO easy to do. I didn't think of it by myself. I just saw the words
cricut and
glitter and had to try it for myself. I plan on putting matching ribbons on these sweet babies before hanging them on the tree.

Just in case anyone else in interested I'm going to show you how to do these. The most important thing you'll need (other than a cricut) is a great font. I really wanted to use one called Caramel Crunch but it isn't free so too bad, so sad. I tried another one I had that nearly had me in tears I was so frustrated trying to "weed" out the vinyl. Then I tried this one called "Louvaine" from dafonts.com (it's under "decorative")--download it for free! I did the lettering with SCAL, sized the names to fit the ornaments just right and cut them out on good quality white vinyl. The weeding of the vinyl is the most time consuming part of this whole project. Although I cut out all the names on one piece of vinyl, I then cut the separate names out and individually weed them. So once you have that done, or before you have it done, whatever...you need to get the stuff pictured below. I bought four packs of clear glass Christmas ornament balls from Michaels for $5. I think that's too much, wish I'd brought in a coupon. I need to find somewhere to get these wholesale because I want to do a lot more of them. So clear ornaments, Mop and Glo and superfine glitter. You'll barely need any Mop and Glo to do this but getting the right glitter is very important. It needs to be much finer glitter than you'd find for kids projects. Ultrafine. Martha Stewart sells some near the scrapbook stuff for $8 or $9 but near the tshirts I found these glitter packs for $5. Same stuff, same size, different brand, different area of the store. Worth walking around for.

Just take the tops off the clear ornaments and pour in a little mop and glo. Swirl it around really well so the inside of the ball is completely coated and pour the excess back into the mop and glo bottle. Then pour in a bit of glitter. Cover the opening of the ball and shake and swish around that glitter. If you see some parts that have poor coverage, just put in some more glitter and shake it around again. And voila!

Here's about how much mop and glo I put in (pretty much all of it gets poured back in the bottle).

And here's about how much glitter I used per ornament.

Here's a couple more pictures of what I was using.


I wish my camera was better so you could see how pretty the colors really are once the ornaments are done. They really glow. Makes me happy everytime I look at them. :-)


Now it's time for your lettering. Here I have Spencer's name "weeded" and ready to go. A lot of people use transfer paper to move vinyl around but for smaller projects I am really liking using drywall tape. I even used the
same piece of drywall tape to transfer every name (that's eight times!).

Now I can't just press it onto the vinyl lettering and it picks it right up--I do have to coax it onto the drywall tape just a bit but it really is so easy.

Once it's on the tape, just press it gently onto your ornament and it comes right off the drywall tape and right onto the ornament.

I start pressing the lettering at the center and work my way out. There's much less "bubbling" under the lettering this way. I barely had any trouble at all.

I have no idea why I switched to my ornament after using Spencer's the whole time, but I'm to lazy to take more pictures so there you go. With a pretty ribbon on top, I think this is going to look awesome on the tree. Every family should have these!

I wanted to make these for everyone I know, but can't imagine trying to ship all that glass! I do plan on making a set for my parents for Christmas but they don't read my blog so it's ok, I haven't ruined the surprise. :-) And I think it'll be an awesome gift for our visiting teaching sisters too. Ah, I just love it when something turns out well.
6 comments:
These are really pretty, Linda. Very sparkly and glittery. And a set would look great on Billy and Suzan's tree (hint, hint).
I love seeing the items you've created on here- they are very cool.
Those are gorgeous! Thanks for the detailed instructions! That is exactly what I need to be creative like you! :) I love seeing all your creative juices at work. I think I may just make some for my family now.
Beautiful! I love that we got to see pictures along the way!
Linda, those are great! I'm so excited. I love seeing all your Cricut stuff. I am going to be getting a Silhouette pretty soon here (same thing, but you don't need cartridges) and I am dying to try a bunch of stuff! My first project will probably be our Disneyland sweatshirts for a small family reunion in January. But once I move, I'll be making lots of vinyl lettering--for bedroom walls and bathroom mirrors and such. And tiles, of course! (Nice inexpensive Christmas gift, right?) I am also thinking of making vinyl circles to do polka dots in the girls' bedroom once we get our next house. I will probably make those ornaments, too! But not 'til next year. This was a great "How To" post! You rock.
These are so awesome!!
So beautiful!!!!!
Post a Comment