I've actually thought about doing a blog about how much I love our Roku player before and since my awesome friend Rozanne asked for more info in a comment--I'm gonna do it now. We originally bought the Roku player to stream Netflix shows and then everyone was making their devices Netflix friendly (the Wii, etc.), but suddenly the Roku started adding these "channels". At first most of them were kind of dumb, but they've gotten way, way better. There are a ton of foreign channels, informational things (from NASA to cartalk), games, etc. Just lots and lots of stuff. Some of it's free, some is subscription like Netflix (which we already had anyway), some is a one time fee (like my Hogoword game that cost me 99 cents). A while ago a family member told us there was a beta channel for BYUtv and I managed to figure out how to get it on my player. The nowheretv thing is also a beta channel that I ran into while looking for the BYU thing. Anyway, they seem to be adding new channels all the time. Our original Roku player will only allow us to have a certain number of channels on it at once but we don't really need any extra room. The BYUtv channel became a real channel at the same time almost that the Mormon Channel did and now they are two of the Roku's top rated channels. Tee-hee. What is super cool about them both is all the archived stuff. I can watch Women's Conference, or a few old football games, both have live streaming, etc. It is AWESOME! Another channel we love on the Roku is Pandora. We've created tons of "stations" on the Pandora so we can listen to stuff we all love. Anyway, I decided I wanted another Roku player for my room to bypass the need for a dvd player. Having Pandora in my room when I'm crafting could not be awesomer! The Roku player we bought for the room was the best one they have out now so it cost a little more (well, it was $100, but so was the first one we bought) but it had Angry Birds on it for free, so there you go. :-) It seems to handle the wireless feed much better than the original one which we have hardwired into the internet. But there's no monthly fee for the Roku!! I get BYUtv and the Mormon Channel and tons of other stuff for free and I LOVE it. Of course there is surely awful stuff to be had on the Roku also, so I wouldn't buy one for your kid's room, but the same goes for the internet. If you're super worried your kids might get to stuff you don't like when you're gone, take it and put it in your purse. It is that small. I love, love, love it.
1 comment:
I feel so special that you dedicated a post just to me!! :) Thanks for all the info. I was going to research it online, but hadn't yet, so your info is very helpful. Now I just have to look up what a beta channel is... LOL! Seriously, thanks SOOOOOOO much!
Post a Comment