Monday, March 21, 2011

Decisions, decisions

We are not going to have a garage in our new house since it will be the bonus room. This means we have nowhere to put our 7 bikes, the lawnmower, etc. So we have to have some kind of outdoor storage. We found this at Sam's Club.
I have been doing all the reading about what to choose--metal, wood, or vinyl. I am completely lost. Wood breathes but there's termites and rot. Metal is not in the running. Vinyl is durable but doesn't breathe and will probably get brittle and fade. The wood can be repainted. We are very sad Mel and Josh aren't going to be there anymore. We could call Josh and he could pick wood up from random spots on the way over for nothing and have it built by dinner. :-) It seems like most people think you are best going with plans from the internet and building a shed yourself. I don't think we are that capable. Not even close. I'd actually really like to have someone just build the thing before we get there so we can just not deal with the stress of it. Then again, maybe it would be a good family project since Jer will have a month off when we get there. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I also want it to be a solid asset for the house. Decisions, decisions.

3 comments:

Grandpa Howe said...

I could be wrong (as usual) but I think if the wood is treated properly (don't yell at it or be mean to it) it will last much longer. We (and Ben) have vinyl ones that are lasting quite well, even in the Arizona heat. You are right about Josh though,

Lesley said...

We like to buy expensive bikes and let them ruin in the elements and save the storage space for things that we are too lazy to through away :)

Eric and Rozanne said...

I wish I could help you on that one. I hate getting stuck and not being able to decide. That happens to me all the time so I can totally relate. :)