Saturday, January 8, 2011

Christmas Holiday Fun (by the elevenses)

So now in honor of 2011, I am going to do some posts of 11 things. Here is my post for 11 things that we really enjoyed this Christmas (in no particular order).
1. This Lego Advent calendar. I seem to change the way we count down to Christmas every year. I just can't find an idea I like enough to repeat. I would definitely do a different set like this again though. Very cool.

I tried to put the Lego Snowman in the "house" section on the display and Rose got really upset because she said it was going to melt. Such a funny girl.
2. Graham Cracker gingerbread houses. I know I usually do that big house with the cool windows and lights inside, etc. but having a 2 month old means I just didn't have the time or energy. But everyone seem to enjoy doing them this way anyway. I actually didn't have any meringue powder on hand so I had to make royal icing with egg whites but no one died from salmonella poisoning thank goodness.
Jessica's house
Becky's house
I think the one above is Hannah's house and the one below is Spencer's. I might have those backwards?
Rose's house is below on the left. Junior's is on the right. Fancy living there. :-)
Here's everyone at play.


3. We had a white Christmas!! It started snowing Christmas Eve and into Christmas. Very cool.

4. All the people we had around to hold Isaac and to play games. It really was a fun time.



This is one of my favorite pictures. Jessica looks so sweet holding Isaac! I didn't get any pictures of us playing games but we loved playing Jurassic Jumble (this is Becky's game and it is an archeological twist on Pit and Spoons, very fun), Dixit (Peter bought us this game we had never heard of--it's a bit like Apples to Apples but with some unique twists), Rummikub and of course the Ever Popular, Best Game Ever--Boggle! Jessica and I came to the conclusion that the dictionary you use can definitely affect the outcome. I think we've also invented a fun way to play it for the holidays. My parents get a little frustrated with how quick the game goes, so one day while everyone was here, I took the game and found as many words as I could til I gave up, then my sister did the same, then my husband, then my mom, etc. Several hours later in the evening we scored it together and I lost!! In fact my husband and my dad tied for first. How do you like them apples? Oh yeah, last year I bought my parents the game Carcasonne for Christmas because it had so many great reviews and they couldn't figure it out. So they brought it back to me and me and Becky figured it out and had a blast. Then my mom decided to let me keep it. You gotta love great presents that find their way back to you and the people brave enough to give them back. :-)
5. Great Indian food from my brother Billy. Actually his family sent a TON of food with my parents for all of us to share and it was awesome. But my favorite was the Indian food he sent that actually tasted good. I just wish I'd thought to take some pictures of it. After my Indian restaurant experience, I didn't think I'd try it again but I'm glad I did!
6. This is for the boys--Junior and Nick and Seth BEAT Jer and Scott and Spencer at a B-ball game when we went down to Scott and Suzie's for the New Year!! Tee-hee.
7. Suzie teaching me all about Cricuts and their awesomeness. She even made this tile for me and let my borrow her littler Cricut. Hobby Lobby here I come!!!
8. The sale at the PX on Dec. 18th where the entire toy section was 40% off! It was like heaven...well, except for that really mean lady :-).
9. A very fun evening after Christmas having dinner and playing Apples to Apples with great friends. I am going to miss these people so much!
10. Watching the kids play Just Dance 2 at Scott and Suzie's. That was really funny and now I know just what to get Rose for her bday.
11. Last but not least--of course all the yummy food. We had so many people bring us treats, I don't know why I bothered making any myself. Actually I didn't. What am I saying? I just bought stuff. I have finally decided I don't like turkey enough to have on Christmas and we have ham too often to make it special and the same goes for pizza so for Christmas Eve we went with Nachos (and we had them again at Scott and Suzie's on New Year's) and we had grilled pork chops for Christmas dinner. Much better stuff. Yum, yum, yum.

3 comments:

Eric and Rozanne said...

Several of your favorites made my favorites list as well! I love the Lego advent. Of course, the day at the PX with the 40% probably tops it all... and of course dinner and Apples to Apples. We are going to miss you guys so much...but we might just have to start making trips to Huntsville. By the way, I am going on the 29th.

Eric and Rozanne said...

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that I have a Cricut still in the box from my anniversary in August. I might have to pick your brain on how to use it. :)

Anonymous said...

Christmas was wonderful! Hopefully I'll see you again before the next one!