Monday, February 1, 2010

The End

This is our 9th and final pinewood derby! I am so excited (because it's all over). My husband doesn't do all this woodcutting, car fixing stuff so it has almost always fallen to me to get these cars done. I think my husband's brother cut their cars once or twice. Spencer really wrote this poem for his car although everyone thinks one of the older boys did it. Narcissism runs deep in this family. My big drama was not the car this year but rather the treats. I volunteered to do them because our cubmaster does everything. Seriously, this awesome lady takes care of absolutely everything and does it so well, we should all just go home. :-) I found a recipe that made a large amount of dough for cookie bars and so I made it 3 times and make 240 cookie bars. I decided to cut them and frost them to resemble the black and white racing flags. Great idea...but I have never dealt with making black frosting before. I go buy the black decorater gel/paste mess and mix it in to whipped canned white frosting. YUCK! This frosting tastes like motor oil, permanent markers, you name it--it was SO gross. I knew I only needed enough treats for 75 people so even if only the white ones were edible--I still had enough. Maybe other people would've thought of something else but I took my cookie bars anyway and just warned everyone not to eat the black ones. People did not listen though and hopefully no one died. A friend of mine asked me why I didn't buy the "no taste" black coloring (apparently they have "no taste" red)--but I'd never heard of such a thing. And when I mentioned it to someone else, they made a good point--why would they market a "taste" one that is so vile? What idiot would use such a thing? :-)




Spencer came in 2nd out of the 5 Webelos but he doesn't want to go on to district thank goodness. I am so ready for this to be THE END.

5 comments:

Christie said...

The treats looked SO cute! i bowed out before they broke em open, so I didn't have the pleasure of tasting. However, I would have listened and gone for the white. I believe my son... who never listens to me... failed to listen to you as well, for he mentioned the frosting. That or he did listen, and was just repeating you.. But alas, I fear that it is likely not the latter. :-) This was our first... but I only have one boy, and I refuse to do scouts..... That's not my thing! I told Brent if I do cub scouts, then he has to do Maxi pads. LOL. Done!

6L's said...

so i had to go look at my black coloring and sure enough it does NOT say 'no taste' like the red...i must have made that up! anyway, i've used black before with no issues but maybe b/c it was just for touches here and there??? the white ones were delicious! :)

Rozanne said...

His car is very creative! The poem is funny too, and I can definitely believe that Spencer wrote it. I love the notebook paper, pencil, and eraser look. There were some good-looking cars there, much better than the selection at Alex's pinewood derbies. I think the cakes look great, nevermind the taste! You may never be allowed to make refreshments again though...

The Hernandez Gang said...

I too am counting down the days when my derby car racing is over (only 2 yrs away)! Spencer's car was SO creative and original. It showed his personality! If he changes his mind about district, let me know. We are planning on taking Damon.

snapie said...

Awesome Car!!!!! I Start with chocolate frosting when I make black So you don't use so much and it tastes like chocolate:)