Thursday, January 14, 2010

Gingerbread Houses

So this year I made the gingerbread house from scratch like I always do only I made 2 this year. And thank goodness I did, because one of them almost didn't make it. The reason both of the houses weren't lit up is because one is full of objects that are helping to hold it up. I don't know why one set up perfectly and the other didn't. I still love using the colonial template from bobvila.com and rather than just making yellow windows with the butterscotches this year, we used life savers and added some color. I think next year I will try using Jolly Ranchers because we wanted some brighter colors like pinks and blues and the Lifesavers are lame in that respect. My sisters were here to help me thank goodness because making all this gingerbread mess is a LOT of work.
Melting the candy into the windows is really easy but you have to carefully watch the oven. You want to pull it out the minute it flattens into a pool because a few seconds later and it likes to fizzle and ruin the whole thing. The gingerbread has to be fully baked first of course.
We had a lot of fun making the windows into shapes and my sister Becky carefully placed the candy pieces to make the candy canes striped.
Here's the shaped-window house before we started having all sorts of trouble with it.
One of my favorite things about making these houses is how much my Dad seems to enjoy helping. He was a huge help in getting that ornery house to stay up and then he really gets into using up all the frosting.
I believe the front of this house was mostly my Dad's work. I made two houses this year so I could have one "perfect" house and then one done by, uh, more artistically challenged...Just Kidding!
My sisters ended up doing more on the house than I did and I love it.
And here they are in all their glory.
It's a giant pain in the butt and it all gets mostly thrown away (once all the candy has been picked off) but I think it's something I'll probably do for as long as I can. The kids seem to love destroying them as much as they do building them. It's pretty fun.

5 comments:

snapie said...

I need your gingerbread recipe. I love that you do this. I always by a base and get cool stuff to put on it.It is so simple that way.I think its time I graduated:) I so am going to make one from scratch next christmas.

Lesley said...

Love your tradition, man I wish my sisters were close enough to do that with. It does look like a lot of work you are some ambitious ladies :)

Christie said...

Good for you... I am too lazy. :-) The home made ones are ALWAYS WAY nicer. I love your light up one. Super COOL

Jenn said...

How neat!!

Rozanne said...

Thanks for the pictures. I was wondering how they turned out. I LOVE the first picture of the windows. It's pretty amazing to me how you make the windows look like stained glass. I like the light inside. You've inspired me! I may try it next year too.