Last year I took on an awesome Primary class that had a couple behavior challenges. Not bad kids, just easily distractable. I have the same problem so it's easy to sympathize. I could hold their attention in class pretty easily but sharing time was not so fun. So I came up with an idea to bribe them to behave in Primary. They had to be reverent during sharing time to earn a "stone" each week. And once they earned 10 stones, they could either get a giant chocolate chip cookie or a t-shirt made by me. I figured they'd all take the cookie but 4 of the 7 went for the t-shirt. I took pictures during the year everytime I made one of the cookies or t-shirts but I can only find one of the t-shirt pictures and not quite all of the cookie pictures. The first t-shirt I made was for a young man in my class who is in love with "Bella" from Twilight. Then another young man wanted a t-shirt of "Trogdor". Still not sure exactly who that is, but I did the t-shirt right because he was happy. Then another boy wanted a Dallas Cowboys shirt. Then one of the girls wanted a Bratz t-shirt and that one was easy once I found a cute picture. Once I had made all the cookies, I got a request from one of the moms for a giant cookie for her birthday. I had the boys and Jeremy deliver it to her and sing to her. I think she loved it. Then the same lady paid me to make 4 of the cookies for her neighbors for Christmas gifts. I think I should go into business. Anyway, it was a pretty fun idea which I enjoyed doing for the kids. This year though, I have a really well behaved class who really does not need any bribery...only they already know about the stones and cookies...so I'll be doing it again (I'm not offering the tshirts this time though--it's too stressful).
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Cookies and Ketchup
That really should be cookies and "catch-up". Oh, how I hate getting so behind on blogging. That's when it feels like a chore and not so fun. We have been so busy the past two months that I just can't believe we made it through everything. Two Eagle projects and a Master's degree amongst the everyday insanity of the holiday season. We also suddenly had to say good-bye to the only part of the Howe family that was near us but we couldn't be sad knowing how awesome the move back to Arizona was for them. And that second Eagle project was carried out 3 days after Christmas with company in tow. And Christmas--still need to blog about all that. And my new hobby which I never blogged about due to the fact that many Christmas presents came from it. And then last week when I was planning on catching-up, the snow started and the kids were back out of school. Ok, I'm just going to get started.
Last year I took on an awesome Primary class that had a couple behavior challenges. Not bad kids, just easily distractable. I have the same problem so it's easy to sympathize. I could hold their attention in class pretty easily but sharing time was not so fun. So I came up with an idea to bribe them to behave in Primary. They had to be reverent during sharing time to earn a "stone" each week. And once they earned 10 stones, they could either get a giant chocolate chip cookie or a t-shirt made by me. I figured they'd all take the cookie but 4 of the 7 went for the t-shirt. I took pictures during the year everytime I made one of the cookies or t-shirts but I can only find one of the t-shirt pictures and not quite all of the cookie pictures. The first t-shirt I made was for a young man in my class who is in love with "Bella" from Twilight. Then another young man wanted a t-shirt of "Trogdor". Still not sure exactly who that is, but I did the t-shirt right because he was happy. Then another boy wanted a Dallas Cowboys shirt. Then one of the girls wanted a Bratz t-shirt and that one was easy once I found a cute picture. Once I had made all the cookies, I got a request from one of the moms for a giant cookie for her birthday. I had the boys and Jeremy deliver it to her and sing to her. I think she loved it. Then the same lady paid me to make 4 of the cookies for her neighbors for Christmas gifts. I think I should go into business. Anyway, it was a pretty fun idea which I enjoyed doing for the kids. This year though, I have a really well behaved class who really does not need any bribery...only they already know about the stones and cookies...so I'll be doing it again (I'm not offering the tshirts this time though--it's too stressful).
Last year I took on an awesome Primary class that had a couple behavior challenges. Not bad kids, just easily distractable. I have the same problem so it's easy to sympathize. I could hold their attention in class pretty easily but sharing time was not so fun. So I came up with an idea to bribe them to behave in Primary. They had to be reverent during sharing time to earn a "stone" each week. And once they earned 10 stones, they could either get a giant chocolate chip cookie or a t-shirt made by me. I figured they'd all take the cookie but 4 of the 7 went for the t-shirt. I took pictures during the year everytime I made one of the cookies or t-shirts but I can only find one of the t-shirt pictures and not quite all of the cookie pictures. The first t-shirt I made was for a young man in my class who is in love with "Bella" from Twilight. Then another young man wanted a t-shirt of "Trogdor". Still not sure exactly who that is, but I did the t-shirt right because he was happy. Then another boy wanted a Dallas Cowboys shirt. Then one of the girls wanted a Bratz t-shirt and that one was easy once I found a cute picture. Once I had made all the cookies, I got a request from one of the moms for a giant cookie for her birthday. I had the boys and Jeremy deliver it to her and sing to her. I think she loved it. Then the same lady paid me to make 4 of the cookies for her neighbors for Christmas gifts. I think I should go into business. Anyway, it was a pretty fun idea which I enjoyed doing for the kids. This year though, I have a really well behaved class who really does not need any bribery...only they already know about the stones and cookies...so I'll be doing it again (I'm not offering the tshirts this time though--it's too stressful).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You are the most awesome primary teacher ever! On a another subject my girls loved, loved the jewlery you made them.
I can't wait.... I mean Yuki can hardly wait to earn her cookie :)
Logan is really excited to have you for a primary teacher. He too can't wait for a cookie. Jeff (my hubby) said he wants one too! LOL! :o)
mmmm I wanna cookie! Yummy!! Liza LOVED being in your class too. She was SO moved by your Joseph Smith lesson. She said "mom, it was SO spiritual... you could feel the spirit so strong." Thank you for that! She will remember that for the rest of her life, and when people make her question the restoration, she will remember the feeling in that room that day. You're an awesome teacher and she is so sad that she had to move up a class.
okay, i get it...we are very boring in sharing time....hmm, what to do??
You are the best! Jesikah really missed you this year. She's so lucky she got a whole year with you!
Post a Comment