

I think one of the things my kids will always remember about Christmas is that I'm always starting new traditions and discarding ones I don't care for. I loved the advent calendar when we were growing up--my mom had two of them. One of them was a (fabric hanging) trail that Mary and Joseph would follow (with velcro dots) to a stable and the other was a fabric hanging that had a Christmas tree on it with pockets for each day holding a little ornament we'd put on the tree. The one on the 24th (which was the last day on that calendar) had this beautiful sparkling earring that would serve as the star on the top of the tree. I remember being excited when I was the one that had the star that year. I made a couple advent calendars as a mom but none of them measured up to that one. I've seen a gazillion at the stores, online, ...but still none of them make me happy. So I've dumped the advent calendar for this year and instead I'm doing the Elf on the Shelf. It's from a book I saw on Amazon but did not buy. I just read what the basic idea was and found a way cuter elf to use. Basically, I told the kids the elf is here to watch them every day in December and each night he goes to the North Pole to tell Santa if they were good, and then he comes back and hides and they have to find him every morning. It's been pretty fun (except when I forget to hide him). Rose has been dragging him around to places I didn't expect so he can watch her and see if she's being good. It's kind of awesome.
4 comments:
We have Elf on the Shelf... I bought the book tho... *choking on the price*... We've done it for a few years. It has been VERY fun.
I love the Elf on the shelf idea. I wanted to do that for the girls this year but have fallen behind on so many other projects that I just never got around to it. I'm hoping to find a cute elf on sale after Christmas so I can start next year.
BTW...I'm hoping to have your gifts in the mail by Monday. I've run into a few issues and so it is taking longer than I thought. I'm hoping you get them by Christmas, but it may be after if that is okay. Sorry! :)
I'd like to start it next year as well. It's a really cute idea. I saw the book online, and you are right...your elf is way cuter. I think I'll find a cuter one too and forget the book. Thanks for the inspiration!
Hey are you on facebook?
Post a Comment