Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fuzzy Wuzzy

This is my brain on drugs. I feel totally woo-woo but I think I'm alert enough and bored enough to type for a few minutes. I had a really awful day yesterday because of these horrid kidney stone shards. When they do that lithotripsy, it means you get to pass lots of small, irregular pieces of stone rather than 1 or 2 solid ones and if you didn't take your pain medication before the onset of a really bad one or two or three making their way down your ureter--well, that's really not good. I went from tears streaming down my face... to sitting in a really hot tub ...to curling up into a writhing ball of pain... to finally getting some relief at around 2 this morning. I'm doing better today because I'm taking pills every 4 hours rather than waiting til I need them. Do I sound like an addict? Probably so. Or maybe I'm just not passing as much stuff today. I also got a call from the doctor's office yesterday and the nurse there tells me the antibiotic they put me on for the infection they found Monday hasn't been doing me any good. Instead of macrobid or whatever, I'm supposed to take cipro. So Jer went and picked it up for me and I read the whole "danger" sheet and apparently in a couple months I may have a tendon somewhere snap or pop randomly or get an intestinal infection or a number of other lovely things. I don't have television so if someone sees a lawyer ad that says, "you may be entitled to blah, blah if you've ever taken cipro"--make sure and write the number down for me. My poor husband has been taking care of me and everything else around here and when the kids missed the bus the other day he had to convince me the earth wasn't going to stop. I'm a little OCD about things but it turned out to be a good thing because he left one of the stove burners on last night and ha, even through the haze of pain, I saved us all! My suggestion to everyone is to never get a kidney stone. Apparently drinking lots of water can help you not get kidney stones. I guess all those times I would go run for an hour without any water because I was too lazy to carry it may have been ill-advised. Passing a kidney stone is a lot like labor pain--only there's no cute ending to it all. And no one will even consider giving you an epidural. Jerks. I thought maybe kidney stones were invented so men could understand a little bit about childbirth but then it doesn't seem fair that a woman that has given birth 5 times, should have kidney stones also! I'm just really glad I didn't start having all these problems until after the fun party at Sis. Klein's on Friday night and the awesome time we had going to the temple Sat. morning. I guess I really am pretty lucky because it could've been timed much worse. Right now the stent is supposed to be removed early Wed. morning but they weren't sure they blasted all of the second stone enough. By the way, apparently you can pass stones about 2mm in size, but my smaller stone was over 8mm (the one that got stuck in the ureter originally) and I still don't know the size of the bigger one. Sorry, I just like information like that. And I would totally be posting pictures of all my fun times at the surgery center, etc. but Rose dropped the camera just before this all happened. And I feel too awful to go anywhere and get a new one. I will make a few observations--Dr. Duffin is an excellent and very funny endocrinol....bleh, pee-doctor (too tired to spell check) if you are in the market for one and the new Surgery Center on Weatherly is really awesome except for the receptionist. She is a sweet person but she keeps snapping her gum which echoes throughout the whole lobby and makes you want to take it out of her mouth and shove it up her nose. Maybe it was all the drugs, which reminds me...time for happy pills. Hopefully this will all be over by the end of next week. In the meantime, drink lots and lots and lots and lots of water.

9 comments:

amomma said...

I totally sympathize with you, Linda. I passed a very small kidney stone one month after having Lydia. And it was the worst pain ever! I was writhing in the ER and the lady was looking at me like i was crazy. I lost it...and snapped at her "I am not a wimp, I just had a 10-pound baby last month, and this is much worse!" And yours are way bigger, so I support your pill popping 100%!!!

6L's said...

aww linda! i am soooo sorry! what can i do??? i sent you a message but probably should have called or stopped by...wanna bring some dinner...i'll try to find your hubby tomorrow (i'm assuming you won't be there).

Christie said...

Oh dear!!! I am so sorry. you did however make me laugh and gave quite and interesting and entertaining post. :-)

Darsha said...

So sorry. Send me some of those pills your taking. I think it is worth the risks involved.
P.S.
I am drinking a big glass of water right now.

snapie said...

I can't believe all the junk you have been going through. You are my hero. How the heck are you blogging through all this. You should get a blogging metal.(an 8mm sized one)Can you eat real food right now? Can I bring you and your faimily something? How can I help? i will call you tomorrow.

Lesley said...

Linda, never ever read the drug information sheet, it will make you instantly start twitching! Bless you, it sounds horrible. I once took a friend to the hospital because of kidney stones and I have been feared into drinking lots of water since! Loving that H20. Thank goodness for wonderful husbands (we know you are a terrific wife). Selfishly I need you to keep blogging, because you are funny as heck, and I need a diversion in my life :)

Grandpa Howe said...

I haven't had babies (yet) but two bouts of kidney stones makes me wish they would let you take morphine home with you. The addiction would be almost worth it.

Becky's Corner said...

Ouch Linda! I hope you get to feeling better really soon, that all sounds just awful! You have my sympathies! :( (And yes, you've scared me into drinking lots of water too.)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are doing better. I hate being drugged out- it does help with the pain but it's horrible! I feel for how you must have felt lately- but it is wonderful that you are coming out of it.