Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Nearly Lucid

I am having such a fun time lately I thoght I'd blog about it. I haven't taken any Lotab (or whatever it's called) all day so I'm finally starting to think a little more clearly. Sunday morning at about 6:30 I woke up with this incredible pain in my left side. It was bad enough that I knew I needed to go to the emergency room. I'm glad we got there when we did because by the time they were inserting the IV, I was doing some labor-breathing the pain had gotten so bad. I told Jer I was fully dilated. :-) They gave me some good drugs and told me I had 2 kidney stones and one had entered the ureter and was causing all the pain. This is exactly the same thing that happened to me about 7 years ago. I got sent home Sunday with some powerful drugs and was pretty much in a daze. Since the stones are both way too big to pass, I had to have surgery yesterday to place a stent that pushed the one stone back into the kidney. Tomorrow I will have lithotripsy (sp.)--it's where they pulverize the stones, and then next Wednesday Dr. Duffin will knock me out again to remove the stent. Once the lithotripsy happens, I will start passing all sorts of sand-like stuff in the urine. I keep falling asleep while people are talking to me and everything seems really loud to me so that is weird. Luckily for me, my husband has pretty much had all this time off and Tina has taken Rose for me repeatedly. And Rozanne's family even took all my kids to church and her husband and Bro. Martinez took my class on Sunday. I am so lucky to have such awesome friends! Jer's b-day is today and yesterday was when I was planning on shopping for it but I was in such a daze that it was all I could do to remember to get him a gift card for Amazon. Bless the internet. Bless my kind friends. Bless the painkillers.

9 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Crazy!
Talon was medivaced to Manila for the same thing. He has bilateral stones (6 I think?) that are all bigger than what is passable. They did the zapping thing last Thursday on one side and they'll do the other side this Thursday.
He always gets them when deployed, this time they were much worse then normal though.
He feels for you!

Christie said...

Liza told me that you were in the Hospital.. my mind raced.... I couldn't think what could have been up. But Kidney stones... yes, that would explain a perfectly healthy person suddenly being hospitalized. Oh, dear sista, i feel for you. :-( Call me if I can help.

Suzanne said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry! Doesn't sound like any fun at all. I agree--yay for painkillers! Hopefully the time will pass quickly and you can get on with regularly scheduled life soon. =(

Lesley said...

Kidney Stones are what nightmares are made of! Thank goodness for modern medicine and good friends!!! We will pray for a quick recovery!

6L's said...

bless your heart! seems we all ended up in the ER within 24 hours...crazy! i hope it all passes w/o much pain! lmk if i can help w/anything!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had an eventful few days! I'm just glad I have no clue what kidney stones feel like! I'm sure I will one day but one can always wish. I hope you get to feeling better soon. I'll be praying for you.

Eric and Rozanne said...

I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with this. I hope it passes quickly. Please let me know what I can do to help.

snapie said...

They gave me the same stuff for my ankle. Would love to see you on the stuff;) I was once in a hospital room with a curtain for a wall while some poor person "next door" was passing some. It scared me for life!

The Young's said...

Hey please don't hesitate to call if you need anything. I want to stop by all the time, but I don't want to bother you. At the same time its sooo funny to watch you on drugs! Love ya!