Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dumdum #2

I can't believe I already have more things to add for my Dumdum series. I obviously enjoy it. :-) The other day I was cooking something on the stovetop that required draining. I think it was some kind of meat or something. Anyway, I took the cooked meat off the burner (this house has one of those flat-top stoves) and got out my red plastic bowl to drain the fat from the meat into. As I start smelling burning plastic, I realized I had just placed the red plastic bowl right on the same burner that I had just used to cook the meat. As I was scraping off melted red goo, it reminded me of another stove incident from several years ago. I wanted to eat a melted marshmallow like the kind you make over a campfire and we finally had a gas stove. So I put a marshmallow on the end of a metal fork and proceeded to cook it over the blue flames. Right when I had it looking just perfect, I put it in my mouth. The whole thing, all at once. I remember hearing the sizzling before feeling any pain.
(me)"That's weird, what's that noise?"
(me, half a second later) "AHHHHHH, my lips--being branded by the fork tines!"
(me, a couple minutes later when I was done crying) "Mmmm, still...good marshmallow."

4 comments:

Teah said...

That second story about the the marshmallow made my mouth hurt. I've had my own stove "dumdum" moment. With the gas stoves in these houses. I was cooking something and of course when I was done I turned it off. So, thinking that the stovetop (the black thing you cook on would not be hot), I picked it up to clean the stove right after I turned it off. I learned my lesson!

Anonymous said...

That's hysterical Linda. I have many dumdum stove moments, though it's too many to share.

Eric and Rozanne said...

I have a colander from Tupperware that is half-melted from the exact same type of incident. We push the plastic back into shape and we still use it. :) The fork tines I wouldn't have thought of either...I was trying to figure out what the sizzling was. :) OUCH!

Grandpa Howe said...

We had an electric stove back in good old Atomic City. Teflon had just been invented and was perfect for frying Colby cheese. I was home from Ricks for the weekend while Mom was gone and started a slab of cheese frying then decided to take the trash out and got distracted by some weeds or flowers or whatever. When I got back to the kitchen smoke filled the entire house and a nice two-foot flame was coming from the cheese.DUM-DUMB!