Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Product Review

I have come up with a best and worst gift we got for Christmas. Luckily, we bought them ourselves so hopefully no one's feelings will be hurt.


The worst--I was feeling bad that the younger kids had not been exposed to some of the toys the older kids had. So I decided to purchase some silly things for Christmas like an Etch-a-Sketch (and I even found those game-sheets you put on top of them). BUT, the big mistake was the Lite Brite. I hate this toy. I hated it when the older kids had it and I still hate it. Those little pegs are a nightmare and a half. I will send it on to make someone else's life miserable at the Salvation Army cause I'm so thoughtful.


The best-- Our blu-ray player (I think it is the LG bd300 or something like that) that streams Netflix! I posted at some point about our giant DVD collection that the kids were destroying and this has been an awesome fix for that. It isn't perfect yet because the selection of DVDs we can stream isn't huge. It's not bad, but it tends to be mostly older stuff with some newer things here and there. But the best part is we don't store them anywhere except on the computer/TV. I'd like to see the kids try to scratch one of those up. Ha! We win. It's pretty sweet to put DVDs in your instant queue on the computer and within seconds, see it pop up on the TV screen. I think we have 75 movies/tv shows on there right now. It can play some stuff in HD but even when it's not HD, it still looks good on our tv (which is saying something because it's 60 inches). Then the other day, the blu-ray player asked me if I wanted to update and I said sure and the next thing I knew, we had Youtube on the TV through the player. I was a little concerned since there is no way to block content but it displays the playing history for all to see so I think people will be careful. You can also password lock the player although I haven't messed with that yet. The youtube videos aren't as good a quality as the netflix stuff but it was fun to mess with anyway. The nice thing about the player is we got it for $270 I think on Cyber Monday through Best Buy and it is still listing most places for around $400 (I think BB has it for $350). Gotta love those deals. I don't think I'll be taking this to the Salvation Army.

2 comments:

Grandpa Howe said...

I think we are still finding those stupid light-peg things around. Hmm, Blue Ray. Hmm, 60 inch High def TV.

Eric and Rozanne said...

I finally made it to check out your blog. It's very fun and bright! Thanks for sharing your worst and best! I love it when I can get others reviews on things before buying them myself!