Sunday, November 23, 2008

Naked Candles

I have one of those spiral votive candle holders in my living room that I don't really know what to do with. It has 11 small glass cups with 11 tea-lights in them and I originally bought the whole thing to make up for the fact that we didn't have a fireplace anymore when we moved on post in Arizona. By the time I unpacked the thing here, all the tea-lights were covered with an inch of dust and so I tossed them. I didn't want to just buy more because I never used them anyway (so much for making up for the fireplace--I'll use a fireplace DVD this year and no, I'm not joking). Several years ago I gave up on Yankee candles because I didn't think they smelled that great when burning and they didn't leave much of a scent either. I tried some Paula Deen candles from Walmart a few weeks ago and am sad to say they weren't that great either. Anyway, I picked 3 Yankee sampler candles out the other week at the PX (I think they were having a sale) for fun--Frosted Pumpkin, Christmas Cookies, and Sparkling Cinnamon I think. Yankee Candle has greatly improved because these were really, really fantastic! So fantastic that I bought 6 more yesterday--Vanilla Cupcake, Pomegranate Cider, Christmas Eve, Buttercream, Mandarin Cranberry, and (for the summertime) Honeysuckle. I burned the Frosted Pumpkin one a week ago and you can still smell it everytime you walk into the living room. It is incredible. It's like eating a bunch of sweets but without any guilt. I can't wait to burn the rest. The only problem is the little candles come wrapped in plastic and once you open them you can't tell what the name of the scent is anymore. I can't quite afford the 22oz. candles at $25 a shot that have these lovely labels. Well, at least not this many different ones. 4 of my candles are red, 4 are off-white and 1 is pumpkin-colored, so once they are naked, the only one I'm sure of is frosted pumpkin. How can I enjoy Vanilla Cupcake if there's a chance it's really Buttercream? :-) If anyone can find a little one of the below scent (chocolate cupcake), I'll totally pay you to get it for me. I plan on using these candles in place of dessert on Thursday. JK. Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Grandpa Howe said...

Unfortunately, those wonderful smells just make me keep on eating.

Snelders Family said...

Linda, do you remember some of your alaska friends?
I have been thinking of you. snelders@hotmail.com

Suzanne said...

I adore my frosted pumpkin candle! I did buy the big one in the jar, because I was only buying one, and because just the one smells up my entire downstairs (not that my house is huge, but still). I only have a few more days to burn it before I want to burn something all cinnamon-y. I'm so glad you're having fun with all your scents. I like the sound of the pomegranate one. Yummy.

Lesley said...

You are such a good salesmen! I want to go buy them too now. If Linda gives it a gold star they are worth checking into!