Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Don't be such a square

This is actually several years old but it is true. I checked it on Snopes and we all know that is the Bible of all things true or false. Due to space problems in refrigerators in Japan, they needed to develop a square watermelon. The house we are renting here has a side-by-side and I HATE it. I need a square watermelon too. If it wasn't for the fact that we bought a full-size freezer last year, we'd be hating life in "badly designed refrigerator/freezer" land. Unfortunately, these watermelons apparently cost (in Japan) over $80 as opposed to about $20 for normal round ones. I'm not that desperate to eat watermelon cold. But I loved how they solved this problem. The Japanese farmers just put the watermelons in tempered glass boxes while they are growing on the vine and there you go. I'm sure the ASPCW (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Watermelons) is upset but I still like the thinking behind it. Instead of trying to genetically modify something, they just thought outside the box. Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

3 comments:

The Young's said...

Linda,
If I'm not mistaken you are from the south just like I am. Why you would think this is a great idea is beyond me!!!! I find square watermelons offensive and degrading, but I think we can still be friends!


Miss you guys sooo much!

Anonymous said...

They didn't think outside the box- they thought inside the box! I will have to try that! They look awesome! What other things can I change the shape off?

snapie said...

I am so doing that! The coolest thing I have seen in a while!!!!!!They do some how make me feel like they won't taste good.HMMMM