Friday, November 7, 2008

And the years roll back...

I found myself near tears this morning as Jer was playing a video online from one of the temples in California (LA, I think) where protesters were outside chanting and screaming "Shame on you, shame on you..." in reaction to the Mormon stand and support on Proposition 8. There was so much hate and ugliness directed towards people who simply stood up for what they believe in. Despite all the years that have passed, Mormons are again being openly persecuted for doing what they believe is right. I could not stop thinking of the little old ladies that usually work at the temples and how frightening it must have been for them to be in that kind of atmosphere as they went to the temple yesterday. I don't like conflict. It gives me heartburn. I know there are more protests that are planned, even for SLC. As I started to worry about what my children may be facing soon and their children soon after that , I kept feeling like I should read the talk given at conference about how we are to handle things like this by Elder Hales entitled "Christian Courage: The Price of Disciplesip" http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-22,00.html (pg. 72 of the Ensign). It was wonderful and I hope to take it to heart so when it's my turn to face the angry crowds, I can feel at peace, love my fellowman, and not be shaken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, it's going to start happening again. The last two conferences have mentioned this coming. On the LDS news website they had a Catholic Bishop call those protestors bigots because the LDS weren't the only ones to stand up against it- so did Jews, Catholics, African-Americans, Asians, etc and no one was protesting against them, just the LDS. However since 'Mormons' have never been truly accepted we are easy targets. Did those people really expect everyone just to roll over and let them get their way? Is it against the law now to actually vote against something you don't believe in? It's so annoying. But, yes, love is what we need and not the desire to smite them!

Grandpa Howe said...

When we answer hate with love there is nothing they can do.

Grandpa Howe said...

Along with many others, your husband and I have spent the better part of our lives ensuring the protesters right to do just that. See my other comment.