Monday, October 20, 2008

Cuckoo dolls and a few of my favorite things

I just got back from a little shopping trip and I came across the weirdest thing at Target. Rose and I were in the toy section and some lady by the baby dolls was telling 2 Target employees to pull these dolls off the shelves because they say "Islam is the light" (I'm thinking, ok, whatever you weird lady) and so I checked it out after the employees ran off with all but 3 of them (their arms were too full). These Fisher Price Cuddle and Coo dolls really do say this and very clearly too. It's weird, there's some baby jibberish that's hard to understand and then all of a sudden--"Islam is the light". And all you have to do to make these dolls work is walk past them. I had to google it when I got home just to see if others had found this yet and of course they had. So, so weird.
On a far better note-- Sam's Club. We lived there when we were in Alaska--there was no Walmart and well, we really like their pizza. A few times Rose and I have gone there just to hang out (remember the dinosaur incident a couple posts ago). We usually split a pizza (their slices are bigger than your face) and sometimes a pretzel and more often than we should--a chocolate or mixed berry shake. Jer and I went there last week, oh wait, before I finish this story, I have to tell another. This morning I checked our bank account and credit card purchases online and I see this charge last week at Sam's for $500 and I was thinking--whoa! I have not done any Christmas shopping and I know I didn't spend that much money last week on anything. Great, I'm thinking, now someone has our credit card # and I've got to go through receipts and call the company and begin a huge nightmare. Then I noticed on that same day we made two other purchases at Sam's and as I'm thinking about it, all of a sudden I remembered that we put new tires on the Suburban. So yeah, we did spend $500. It just wasn't any fun. I wonder if the credit card company would let me claim fraud just because buying tires is lame. I can't believe I'm so confused. Pray for me.
Anyway, back to whatever I'm trying to say here. We discovered on that tire-purchasing day that we can buy a box of 20 pizza dough balls for $20 at the lunch counter place at Sam's. I usually make pizza dough but it's a pain and I'm lazy. There are no directions on the box from Sam's but I've discovered if I let them thaw for a day in the fridge and then perhaps a couple hours on the counter, they are all ready to be stretched out onto pans, topped and thrown into the oven. Another thing we love to eat are their pretzels and it annoys us that the frozen ones in the freezer at Sam's don't taste like the ones they sell at the lunch counter. Jer asked and found out we can buy a box of 60 of the lunch counter pretzels for just over $30. But they wouldn't sell us a box last week because they were running out. Today I got one. They require no thawing and I've microwaved them for softer pretzels and baked them for crispier ones. They are awesome! These are two of the best deals I've come across in a long time for our family so I just had to share.
Now for the other thing I did today. I took a picture on our camping trip with Mel and Josh's family that I really liked and wanted to print a really big copy of it. I found out that Kodak will print pictures 20in. x30in. if the resolution is good enough. I think it costs $25 with tax and shipping. The first one they sent me had a damaged tube which wrinkled the picture and I was so mad, but I went to their website and they make it WAY easy to return. I didn't have to talk to anyone or anything. Just printed up a return label and taped the tube back up and sent it off. Kodak has my customer approval for now. The second one they sent was perfect so I decided to frame it. I am the world's cheapest framer. I could care less if my frames match and those really cheap ones at Walmart are usually perfect. For a picture this big I needed something better. Hobby Lobby had frames and mats half off this week (have I mentioned I love Hobby Lobby too) and here is the result:



Sorry about the room reflection in the picture but you get the idea.


And I forgot to post this before. I redid my "Home is where the heart is..." hanging because I could NOT pass up the adhesive bling at Hobby Lobby. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about those dolls! Cracked me up. Though I don't think they should ban them- freedom of speech and all that but people should know what they say. You and your bling- I love your hanging though. That is awesome about the picture! I'll have to do that once I get a good enough camera to take decent pictures.

Suzie Howe said...

Linda the picture you took looks awesome I'm impressed. That's an awesome deal with the doe at Sam's club. I wonder if they do the same thing at costco. I will have to find out.

Lesley said...

When you find a great deal it is just so great. Man I wish they had a Target in Benson I know I would be dreaming if they had a Costco. Love Love Love the picture. Original art is the best can't pick that one up at the Mart.

Grandpa Howe said...

Islam is light? Blame Obama.

Dixie said...

Awesome picture Linda!! I can not wait until I can go back to Sams Club!! I all over that chocolate (did you say berry??)drink, great now I'm gonna have dreams!!!