Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Sly Guy
I've always prided myself on being a step ahead of my kids. Junior came home with an assignment in his Spanish 2 class to write ten things about himself in Spanish. Although this is his second year of Spanish, I didn't think he'd been paying much attention through his first year because he never uses Spanish at all. So imagine my surprise when he goes to the computer and less than fifteen minutes later he brings me the assignment all typed up in what looks like real Spanish (I have no idea if it was correct seeing as how I don't speak Spanish). Imagine my joy when I realize that my son is a genius and has learned Spanish so well that he didn't even need a dictionary for this assignment. I asked him to translate it and he tells me to look on the computer. I look and see the Spanish sentences and tell him I want to know what it says in English. He looks at me like I'm retarded and clicks this translation thing on the right side that I hadn't previously noticed to turn the Spanish words back to English! He didn't translate anything--the computer did it! How did I not know that you could do this? How did my son miss the part about school where he's supposed to learn things for himself and not just find a way around it? He really wasn't being sly--he didn't think he'd done anything wrong. He found a way to do the work using the least possible effort. I've heard that the translations are often way off but I tried it out in Russian and got the following--Моим именем будет Linda и я пытаюсь выучить русского. I know how to write "Linda" using Russian characters but I had to copy and paste the sentence from the translation thing just to get it on here. Obviously, blogger supports foreign text but I don't know how to get to it. Anybody? On a side note, I usually don't direct attention to other blogs but the "Vroom, vroom" post by my BIL Ben was priceless. Who knew you could drive a car that cost $1 using a screwdriver to start it? They are taking frugality to a whole new level and it's impressive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
According to Dad, even companies use computers to translate (with bad results) so don't be too hard on Junior! It's the name of the game. I remember the Russian alphabet! It looks so cool.
Where was this my third year of Spanish when my teacher started teaching Equadorian Spanish and my first two years of spanish, which I was pretty fluent in, meant nothing to her. Crazy! Ben's post was awesome, I loved it.
So many things we have to watch out for on the internet! I used to use the translator a lot when I was teaching all Mexican kids. If my brain was tired, I would write notes to the parents in English and translate them online...but then I had to proofread them and change a lot because it's true, the translations are usually kind of "off."
I hope Hannah's arm isn't giving her too much trouble, poor kid. Did you ever make Nick an O'Beast shirt? I'd say he's definitely earned it by now. =)
Points to Junior for knowing how to do the whole translation thing.
Junior's a genius!! I had never heard about such a thing either, that is until we moved to Brazil and Travis had to write a report in Portuguese, we were like ya-right we have only been here for 3 weeks!!! Anyway he used that awesome button and got a "C" on the report, all the kids got a "C", I guess the teacher was wise to them.
That sounds like a good idea. Not like I'd ever use it. (cough cough) Just Kidding I don't have to take a foreign language until next year.
Post a Comment