Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Nutty Buddies
My oldest is working to get his driver's permit. He had the manual pretty much memorized a couple weeks ago but we didn't have an official Social Security card for him and by the time I got around to fixing that (yesterday), my poor son wasn't really ready anymore for the driver's "knowledge" exam. He got off the bus and I took him off to the DMV without any warning where we waited for 2 hours for him to unfortunately not pass the exam. It only took 5 minutes for the test--the rest was just us waiting. I'm wondering if I sabotaged him a bit because I'm still not sure I want him driving a car. Oh well, he can retake the test in 7 days. One fantastic thing about Arizona is their driver's license expiration dates-mine's good 'til 2039! I'll be 65 and won't look anything like the picture on my license. BUT--this means no long waits at the DMV. I remember going there once in Sierra Vista and it was a ghost town. Not so here. They renew every 4-5 years and their DMV is packed. I think I've mentioned how friendly people here are--well, as nice as this is, sometimes it's a bit much. Within just a few minutes of cramming ourselves into the waiting room we met a young man learning to be a diesel mechanic and do collision repair who had lost his license at a college party, then another man who had just returned from Iraq that spends his days driving a four star general around, then an older lady who was a German that had just moved here from Maryland, then a young couple who loves to read (her--Janet Evanovich, him--some existential mess), then a much older lady who recently dropped something on her toe from a high cupboard and who owns 14 acres somewhere and who was incredibly inquistive. As I watched all these people interact with us and each other and noticed that they were cheering each others' numbers on and wishing everyone a good life once their number was finally called--I'm wondering if maybe I just need to relax and get used to the way things are here. I can't wait until next week when we can do it again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Okay, they won't let me edit my own comment! How cruel. Anyway, I hope Junior doesn't feel too bad about not passing. Wanting to drive and then not being able to can be rough. The people there are certainly more friendly than the people here! You must have landed in a real Southern city!
Wow, you could have a party with all your new "friends" and your house would be full! That really is friendly.
Good luck with the impending driving experience. I can't even imagine getting to that point with my kids. I guess I have to accept the fact that they really do grow up!
By the way...Darsha said to send her another invite to her blog. I told her she shouldn't need one because your blog isn't private. But I figured I'd pass it along just in case I'm missing something.
Linda,
I'm a blogger! A baby blogger but still i found your blog. that says a lot. Your yard makes me cry. I am not sure if it is Envy(oh what a fun yard to play kick the can in. i want to ride the mower) Or Sadness(man that yard must take Linda like 8 hours to mow poor girl :(). Either way enjoy. We don't have a yard at all. All I smell when I go out is Korea. Which we decided smells like a mix of Fish,Garlic, And poop all at the same time. Jeremy, You know what i'm saying is true. Darsha
Do not fret. It took Bekah two tries to pass the test. Babs lets her drive home from church but not to church. I haven't figured that one out. I have only ridden with her once and she does quite well. Just the normal to fast and not slowing down soon enough for my liking (brakes aren't cheap). The best part is that she's my last!
People everywhere are friendly, sometimes you just have to drag it out of them.
Post a Comment