Thursday, September 11, 2008

Forgot to brag

In a post awhile back I mentioned all the good fresh tomatoes, apples and pears we were getting from our awesome neighbors and I made some really good stuff and took pictures of it, then forgot about it. Here's the salsa I made and had to eat all by myself because no one here will touch tomatoes. It was awesome though. Rose was my helper picking apples that day and she totally lets me blog longer if I put her picture on here.
I searched the internet for awesome apple crisp recipes and learned two things--First, just because someone has a recipe on their blog does not make them a good person (yikes--be careful in cyberspace), Second--this really is one of the best recipes I've ever stumbled across. Since I don't know where I got it (don't worry, it wasn't from the evil blog lady), I can't give credit to anyone but hopefully I won't be arrested. The neighbor's apples are pretty sour/tart and they were perfect for this recipe.

Mix together the following:

1 cup sugar

1 TBSP flour

1 tsp. ground cinnamon



Peel, core, and slice apples until you have 10 cups of apple slices. Place apple slices in 13x9 pan (I sprayed the pan with Pam before adding apples just because I always do). Sprinkle the apples with the mixture you just made (sugar, flour, cinnamon). Pour 1/2 cup water over all of it. (This was the weirdest part of the recipe and it made it so that I had to serve the crisp with a slotted spoon because the bottom is so runny, but I'm afraid to change anything because it really did turn out so good--I gave some to my neighbor and she raved about it too).

Combine the following:

1 cup quick oats

1 cup flour

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/2 cup melted butter



Crumble over the apple mixture and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. I just love the fall!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, and more yum! Send some of that stuff our way. Reagan will eat whole tomatoes if we let her and we LOVE apple pie/crisp around here. I will have to try that recipe, as long as you won't turn into an evil blog lady on me! :)

Suzanne said...

Wow, that stuff looks GREAT. I do envy you the fall season. It's one of the things I knew I would miss before we even came here--that bite in the air and the colorful trees...jacket weather, to give you a break after a hot summer. Fall is my favorite season!
I bet your family was in heaven with that apple crisp!