Friday, August 22, 2008

Who knew?

As the muggy, warm weather settles in again and I miss Arizona even more--I do have to give credit to this place for their fruits and veggies. And their super friendly people (for the most part). Holy cow. Our next door neighbors are the nicest people ever and the husband keeps bringing over food from their trees and their garden. Here's a sampling of the tomatoes I got from him this week, but they've also told us to help ourselves to their pears and apples and when I didn't (because it still seems so rude), they brought some to us. So I'm thinking, ok, my family doesn't like tomatoes and I like them only occasionally, so how am I going to use all this up? I decided to start by slicing up a tomato for my turkey and cheese sandwich the other day. I cannot even begin to express how good this tomato was and so was the next and the next. They are so sweet and juicy I can finally see why they should be called a fruit. The cherry tomatoes were just as great and I can usually only choke those down with salad dressing. I had the cherry tomatoes as a side dish for my lunch instead of the usual unhealthy chips or whatever. And NO salad dressing. It was incredible. I am in heaven! The neighbors' pears could give Harry and David a run for the money and even their apples are awesome. I've got to make an apple pie or something. Another new favorite of mine here that the neighbors don't grow but I can find at the store are plums. I was having a hard time yesterday and I have a little package of M&M's hidden away for just such an emergency. I had just bought some plums and decided to try one before eating my chocolate. 6 plums later, I didn't even need my chocolate. It was pure heaven--maybe even better than frosting! Until a couple hours later and my body reminded me that prunes are made from plums and a little moderation might be in order. :-) Who knew?

4 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Dang you are funny.
Yeah, my little squirrel would have sat down at those bags and eaten her way through them without stopping. She eats tomatoes like candy. She's freaky.
And your neighbors ROCK.
But seriously, they want the fruit off their trees so it doesn't drop and make rotten fruit on the ground. You'd probably do them a favor by picking it. Looks like you need to start canning!

Anonymous said...

All fruit will give you the runs if eaten too much. I love cherries but those are especially bad about it. I remember when we had that plum tree in our front yard and the garbage men rang the bell to ask if they could have some. I told them to take as much as they could because there were too many of them for us to possibly eat. I miss having an active garden. Home-grown fruits and vegetables are soooooooo much better than store bought. You are so lucky!

Grandpa Howe said...

I feel SO much better now that you have met your neighbors and they bring you fruit and veggies! I remember when Cate and Rosie were picking the apples and pears when we were unloading the trucks and I thought they (the neighbors) would be all upset and build a wall or something.

Unknown said...

Hey Linda, I so enjoy your blog! I totally blurted out a laugh that had Armani running in to see if I was O.K. You are totally a riot!Oh yeah I need your mailing address. Elke