Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wii Fit

I love Nintendo. Zelda on the Super Nintendo is still the best game ever. I have fond memories of being completely alone in a scary apartment in Virginia while Jer was doing Army training and after doing the incredible amount of work involved in taking care of one baby and cleaning a one bedroom apartment, I would play Zelda for hours. I was only 19 so I guess that’s my excuse. Now they’ve made another cool game (?) I love. Wii Fit is very awesome. I really liked the idea of having a scale that could estimate my BMI because who doesn’t want to know that? The balance board that goes with the game basically functions as a scale and according to my other scale, it’s pretty accurate. You have to tell the game how tall you are though and then it’ll tell you your BMI. I just realized I don’t like the word BMI. Sounds too much like what my mom always called a particular bodily function. Body Mass Index should become FON which is close to the word “fun” and stands for “Fat Or Not”. That’s really what BMI is anyway. There’s no need for this “Severely Obese, Obese, Overweight, blah, blah…” I like the word FON. It’s short, sweet, gets its point across. So this Wii Fit game will tell you if you are Obese, Overweight, Normal, or Underweight. Since I told the game I was 6 foot 3, you might guess I’m doing pretty good. Just kidding. I told it the truth and I managed to be--overweight. Sweet. Not a surprise considering my love of frosting among other things. The game will even let you password lock this sensitive info but I chose not to. All the kids were lined up behind me watching with baited breath anyway to see if my ID card weight was a lie. It was right on! (that’s only cause I lost 40 lbs. since I took the photo—I need to get a new ID card so I can lie by another 40 lbs.) Anyway, it’s cool because the game tracks and charts your progress. Apparently you can do a lot of other cool things with the balance board like yoga, step classes, skiing and so on but the kids are always hogging it and I have 50 million things to do right now anyway. Someday. Right now I am satisfied with doing my six miles every morning and then having a machine tell me out loud that I’m overweight. Life is good. One day I might even be normal. :-)

4 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

If you are overweight, i don't even want to know what I am.

But I do have Wii Fit on my wishlist for my birthday. I'm not sure I'm getting it seeing as how it's impossible to get a hold of - so if you find one, pick it up for me and I'll pay you back! Or tell Tina it's her bday present to me.

HA HA HA

Jen said...

I'm torn. I love it, but I hate it. That darn BMI makes me feel horrible about myself. Especially when it takes your Mii and packs on the pounds (only on top anyway). I sooooo do not look like that, well maybe I do but I don't think so. The "games" are extremely fun. Reagan loves the running one, so we do that ALOT. Just watch out for the lunges, I hurt for several days afterwards. Like I said, I love it but hate it.

Lesley said...

I totally agree with the BMI and bodily finction thing :) I love the FON, I swear you need to write for a newspaper or magazine, too funny! Six miles a day you are too awesome, that is way beyond normail! Keep going and run a few miles for me :0)

Anonymous said...

With that information, I'll be sure never to do that Wii BMI thing- ever! The game does sound fun though- especially the yoga.