Sunday, June 8, 2008

Snowcones

My SIL Suzie did a great blog about summer and all its awesomeness but I have to add one thing—snowcones! Spencer’s bday was last week and I was racking my brains for an idea for his 3rd present (my new limit—yes, it’s cruel, and no, I don’t care). He’s in that weird stage (turning 9) where he doesn’t play with toys so much but he’s not satisfied with clothes and cash either. And how did his Grandma Howe know that he loves flying paper airplanes? She sent him a book of cardboard airplanes to put together and fly and he LOVED it. I think she’s psychic or something. Anyway I had to get something to repair the blow-up pool from last summer and on the same isle at Walmart was the snowcone maker and the snowcone syrups. We’ve bought all the flavors and have had a blast making snowcones everyday. I may be losing my hearing from the noise of the machine though. One of my favorite summer memories as a child was going to my friend Mary’s house and using her ice-crusher to fill cups with ice and then adding straight sugar and lemon juice. Also her mom went to the Hostess store every week and bought outdated junk food like bear claws and fruit pies and so we gorged ourselves on molded trans-fats every summer. Does it get any better? I think not. Jer says I need to try sweetened condensed milk on the snowcones (some Panama thing) but it sounds gross.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Mmmmmm.....snowcones. We had a snowcone maker when we lived in Tucson, though it was all done by hand. Those were the days. Some friends of ours brouight their snowcone maker over a few weeks ago but we never made them. I was so bummed. They left the frozen ice cups in our freezer though, so every time I open it up I'm reminded of them. Oh the torture!!All this talk makes me want to go to Walmart and buy one.

Suzanne said...

Sounds like fun! I love snow cones, and that is such a great present!
Love the new layout! =)

Anonymous said...

I can always tell when you change your lay-out since it takes it much longer to load! Billy has informed me that Dad will get fast internet the same day he retires and can no longer use the fast internet he has at work. I'll hopefully be gone by then! Anyway, I remember those Hostess's things they always had in their fridge. That shop is still going strong.

Lesley said...

I love the three gift limit rule! I think I will be adopting that rule for my kids too. Snowcones are yummy and to own your own as a kid ranks up there with easy bake ovens, always wanted one but never got it, that is what kids are for, right. :)

Suzie Howe said...

I love the three gift rule also. Snowcones are faboulous. I always loved the bubblegum flavor.