We had a yardsale at our house on Saturday to raise the nearly $300 needed for girl's camp (and we made $500!). Yardsales are way more fun with lots of people participating--we got to visit with awesome friends, make some new ones, and it was really a treat instead of a chore. But most importantly I learned what a quince, an ugli fruit, and a xigua are. I mean I've heard of some weird food like jicama, kohlrabi, persimmon and the like but I have NEVER heard of the q, u, and x ones I mentioned. I bet Ariel feeds her kids stuff like this for dinner. :-) In case you are as lost as me (not hardly likely), a quince is some kind of pearish, applish thing; an ugli fruit is what you get when you cross a grapefruit and a tangerine or a pomelo and they really do mean it's "ugly", just look--
and a xigua (pronounced zhee-guah) which is basically a watermelon. I personally think it is just the Chinese word for watermelon and someone got confused and decided it was actually "a shorter watermelon". When it's really just a watermelon. Go have some fun with your local produce guy and ask him where the xigua is. What does a yardsale have to do with an ugli fruit? I wish I knew. :-) I actually did learn this fascinating information from the yardsale though and felt compelled to pass it on. I also needed a break from sorting and packing so I thought I'd blog for a minute but I'm going to have to run because Rose won't quit licking the sofa (my really nice sectional). She said she's mad at me and so this is my punishment. She's creative that way.

5 comments:
I have never been able to earn any real money at a yard sale, but then again i never had a good purpose like raising money for camp. Good job! I know my local grocer will not have heard of the watermelon they didn't even know what craisens were ;)
Hey, thanks for the info. on the blog thing! One of these days I might actually get time to change mine over to that format. I love it.
Hope you guys are doing great! We miss you already--and we had a ton of fun Monday. Thanks again for having us over. =)
Rose licks the sofa to punish you? That is too funny! You must have a hard time keeping a straight face while you're trying to be 'stern' sometimes!
That's awesome that you guys made so much money. I just got back from girls camp it was a blast, a lot of work but it ws fun. And thanks for the fruit info I've never heard of any of those.
okie dokie, i'm giving you the 411 on the present but only because no one is likely to read this comment since you posted so long ago.
I bought a Bernina sewing machine that was WAY too expensive and WAY too good for me. It's the only purchase that honestly made my husband question my sanity.
But I'm sorry - he ditches me every other year - for a year. COME ON.
Post a Comment