Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Things that go bump in the night

I’m really tired right now. Last night was weird, or I guess I should say this morning. Around 2:30am I woke up to some really loud banging noises in our utility closet that is next to our bedroom (the access door to it is outside in the back). I wasn’t too worried, figured maybe it was just a javelina or skunk but I got up to check just in case. As I’m walking down the hall, I realized all of a sudden that the washer was going. At 2:30am. Did we have burglars that needed to clean some laundry? OK, that didn’t really go through my mind—my first thought was actually-- Nick-- I’m going to kill him! He has a history of sleep-walking--but sleep-chore-doing? When I went in his room to check, he was sound asleep. So was everyone else as I made the rounds, and I even went back to double check that Nick was really asleep. I go back to bed a little bit stymied. About half an hour later Nick comes in our room and tells me someone was looking in his room (twice) :-). Apparently he fakes sleep as well as he does throw-up. Then Junior walks in. Nick woke his older brother up and told him someone with long hair kept looking in his room and it definitely wasn’t mom. Of course, I ask Nick about the laundry and he confesses. Apparently he needed to wash some clothes at 2:30 this morning. The noises I heard were made by the water heater in the utility closet. I confess that it was me looking in on him and we all go our merry way back to sleep-ville. Only thing is, shortly after that, Hannah comes in to tell us that Rose (who hasn’t had a real accident yet) wet the bed (and of course I forgot to put the plastic sheet back on it the other day), so yeah, not getting much sleep last night. Actually I still prefer this to staying up all night with a crying baby—huge kudos out to all the moms that still do that! I hope Nick doesn’t try to clean the bathrooms at midnight tonight—actually, I hope he does, what am I saying?

2 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I love that comedy hour at the Howe's extends well into the wee hours of the morning.

Except of course the wetting the bed part. Nothing gets me hot under the collar more then that - which is probably why I torture my children who are dry 80% of the time by making them sleep in pull-ups anyway. I hate dealing with nasty peed-on sheets.

Again... not as much as staying up all night with not-sleeping babies, but...

Jeremy said...

Don't worry, I slept through the whole thing.