Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A passionate love affair

Most people that know me know I have a weakness for frosting.

Sweet, creamy, whipped, gooey, mushy, fluffy, thick, light, teeth-achy, airy, coma-inducing, heavenly goodness. I’ve been given frosting as birthday gifts and everyone in Relief Society knows to scrape the frosting off the knife onto a special plate for me—I just really, really love frosting. Someone recently told me once they grew up they couldn’t stand frosting anymore. Obviously this was meant to make me feel like a dorky kid but I could care less. Because I LOVE frosting! I’ve told my husband for years not to give me cakes for birthdays because I’d rather just eat the frosting off of it.
(Although frosting dusted with cake crumbs is quite awesome—I just refuse to get fat off the cake part when I could be getting fat off more frosting—jeez, I do have standards.)
Just stick a candle in the frosting tub and happy birthday to me! People are always going on about how only homemade frosting is the best and while I agree it is very good, the stuff in the tubs also tastes great to me. I don't have a fancy taste-bud tongue.


VS.

They all taste different and they all taste awesome.
The commissary carries these puffy sugar cookies with colored frosting and sprinkles on the top and I love them.

Someone said they hated them because the cookie part is tasteless—it just tastes like flour. Hello! That’s why they are so good. Since the cookie is tasteless—the frosting is all you taste. They are only $1.99 for 10 and I have to be VERY careful to never buy these. It is the forbidden fruit. But when people bring them to stuff—yea! I think I scared the lady in charge of the cookies at the elementary school play. Two cookies apiece only applies to those poor kids--I’m an adult for pete’s sake, get out of my way! I guess I’m still just a big kid at heart or maybe I should say stomach because the more colorful the frosting, the more sprinkles, the more I love it.

I’m kind of that way with clothing too. I like bling on my cupcakes but I like to wear it too. Not frosting, you dummy. Bling. Just know what I mean. Anyway, I love bling. If it wasn’t for my husband controlling me (that sounds bad, ok, gently guiding me)-- I’d be wearing a full magenta-sequined gown to church this week. I don’t see what the big deal is. Who doesn’t like to sparkle a little? I have to limit bling to my shoes so I don’t scare even more people than stingy cookie-lady. Where was I? I think I have blog ADD. Oh yeah, frosting. I think it’s the best. I love it and it loves me. :-)
OK, here’s another little PS—when I looked for pictures of my favorite cookies, I’ve discovered they are known as Lofthouse cookies and there are lots of copy-cat recipes out there. I might have to try a few but then I can never make them if they turn out right because I’ll eat them all. So now who's the dummy?

7 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Linda somehow I missed this about you. And to think I was your visiting teacher. I feel so ashamed. I think all VT routes should have blogs so we can find out the deep dark secrets about each other and be proper VTer's to each other.
I have a plan.
It might take me a second, but I have one.
Oh and if you are in Phoenix find this store called Cupcakes. They have delicious frosting, I mean cupcakes. Let's just say there is more frosting then cupcakes. But both are ridiculously good (and pricy - don't look, just buy). I'm pretty sure it was in Scottsdale - we went when we were wedding dress shopping for my SIL.

Anonymous said...

This post is too funny! I remember what I thing you used to have for frosting. It's nice to see some things don't change! Now I'll always know what to get you for a present.

Jen said...

Linda, you are hysterical. I love the frosting part too, though in some instances it can be too much. Our last enrichment meeting we had a cake from costco and it was mostly frosting. You should have seen all of the frosting just sitting on peoples plates because there was just too much. Now I know that I need to save some for you :)

Lesley said...

I am a frosting snob. I like homemade way better, the cake can be made from a box but the frosting must not come from a tub :) I do like costco frosting, I prefer the corner piece with a huge flower or balloon on it!

Suzie Howe said...

When I lived in the dorms when I was going to school My friends and I spent many nights eating tubs of frosting sometimes with graham crackers other times just with a spoon. Delicious both ways.

Jeremy said...

I smell an easy Mothers' Day gift: a case of frosting from COSTCO or the caselot sale at the Commissary. How much frosting can $50 buy? I need a variety pack.

Suzanne said...

Such an awesome post. Man, you are such a natural blogger! You need a blogger award. So today you post about something so yummy and decadent and fulfilling, and I post about stinky fish. Hmm.