Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Eating us out of house and home--and devious children
I probably grumble about this a lot, and I know so many people that have gone through the same thing, but feeding teenage boys is getting really expensive! The other day a loaf of bread disappeared after dinner and one of the boys tells me he needed a snack so he ate 14 pieces of bread. They constantly make pb and js after dinner like I’ve never fed them at all. So anyway, when we went to Tucson for the symphony thing the other week, I decided to let them eat cereal for dinner. I figured it would be best not to let them use the microwave, toaster, stove, oven or any appliance in our absence. Nick has started a fire in the microwave 3 times so far. Twice he forgot to put water in the bowl with his Ramen and the third fire was when he decided some croutons needed to be softened and the microwave would do the job. That was a fun day. I come home from church, Nick had stayed home—obviously fake sick because he had the energy to microwave a crouton --and I smell something burning. He tells me he doesn’t know what happened, the house just started smelling like smoke and he tried using Lysol to cover it up, and for three days I was freaking out that our house was about to spontaneously combust. Jer was in Korea then so I really was pretty worried. The third day out I started talking about it again and just barely out of the corner of my eye I catch the guilt in this young man’s face so he caved figuring three days had past so he wouldn’t be in trouble anymore. I gotta quit believing that kid, like the time he told me he threw up and couldn’t go to school, and he even shows me the throw-up in a bowl. I’m like, Nick, this smells like soap and looks really weird. He goes--Oh yeah, I tried to clean it out. About three months after that one, he tells me he had faked the throw-up by mixing a bunch of ingredients in a bowl. He didn’t get in trouble for either of these episodes because I am a giant sucker. Where was I? Oh yeah, I let them eat cereal for dinner when we left for the symphony and even though I’d just gone shopping, by the time we got back, there was no cereal left. None. Apparently telling them they could eat cereal for dinner meant they could and should eat every bit of it left in the house. Lesson learned. Now I know to say--you can eat ONE bowl of cereal at a time and, Nick, put the punch bowl down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh that was laugh out loud funny! Linda you need to write for a magazine! Nick is great, the fun you guys must have :)
That is hysterical Linda. Aaron and I were trying not to laugh too loudly cause Lo was trying to go to sleep. Now I know where Reagan gets her obsession with bread. I have to keep it high up on the shelf so she can't reach it or she would grab 3-4 pieces at a time and sneak it to the playroom. Good times. :)
Yikes. That does sound expensive. Fake throw-up! Why didn't I ever think of that.
That it is too funny. I've never had anyone make fake throw-up before. How clever. I hope you at least got your cereal on sale. Cereal and milk are not very cheap anymore.
I would just sit in your house all day long and laugh. My husband would sit in your house all day long and help the boys come up with ideas. My SIL *mother of 7 and one 15 year old boy* has a "1 bowl of cereal rule" which the 15 year old has translated into finding the biggest bowl in the house to use. She's fine with it because he really is that hungry but it does leave food for the rest of the family - sort of. She also goes through a loaf of bread every day.
All I can really say is this -
Be very thankful for your commissary benefits. :-)
That is totally hilarious! (Will I think that in a few years when my own boys figure out how to do that kind of stuff?) And you still have a smile on your face every time I see you!
Post a Comment