Sunday, March 9, 2008

TV

We can say our family hasn’t watched cable or antennae TV in over a year (unless we were at someone else’s house), because we had the cable and everything turned off then. We use our televisions solely for dvd watching and video-gaming. And if there’s something we really want to watch, we usually can find it on the internet at a TV network site or you-tube or download it from iTunes or whatever. It sounded like such a lofty goal—we aren’t going to watch TV anymore, we will separate ourselves from the world and be different and quit wasting loads of our precious time on this earth burning our eyesockets out. I mean, when Heavenly Father asks me what I did with my time on earth, I sure don’t want to have to reply that I knew every American Idol contestant, what happened on Project Runway or that despite the years that passed—Lost never managed to go anywhere. I’d rather tell him about the people I loved, the things we did together, the things I learned, the people I helped and who helped me and so on. This isn’t likely to happen with the amount of TV we were all watching a few years ago. Yet, I find that as hard as it was to stop the cable, and it really was like quitting an addiction—it has slowly been replaced by other things that help me waste my time. Like writing in this blog. Just kidding. Someone will talk about a TV show and I’ll find it on the internet and watch 5-6 episodes before I’ve realized it. Or someone will mention a movie and I’ve found it instantly-watchable at Netflix (or I throw it in my queue). Or people will send us hilarious video links on you-tube. No matter how hard we try, the beast of self-entertainment, seems unconquerable. Help!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I am trying to cure my addiction of TV as well and it is SUPER HARD! I love my project runway and my lost. I try not get hooked on anything else and i have been watching the same 3 to 4 shows for the last couple years, but i can get easily sucked into other junk. good for you and your success at kicking the habit:)Now I know it can be done:)

Suzanne said...

Yeah, we get sucked in too. Our problem is that we have bought too many shows on DVD. At least we don't have cable or channels or anything, but I totally understand how hard it is to stay away from all that! Good for you though.