Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dumdum #11

Several months ago I plugged in our pancake griddle, which was actually a really great griddle--it could easily fit eight pancakes, and it didn't work. I was so mad at it, I grabbed it, went to the back door and flung it into the backyard. Lots of pieces flew off as it hit the ground. A little while later I started to think about 4 little (innocent) letters--gfci. Surely I hadn't plugged it into a gfci outlet that might have been tripped? Surely not. Please no. Oh--surely yes. Oops. We now have a new griddle. It only fits 6 pancakes (no store, well neither target or walmart, had one that does 8--lame) and now I don't know where the plug is now anyway so I have to make 3 pancakes at a time in my skillet. I think my original griddle is laughing at me from the dump. Maybe not. The dump is really smelly.
A few weeks ago I started having an issue with my Bosch. It's a powerful mixer despite the fact that it is pretty old. Like probably as old as me, but definitely more powerful. The beaters that attach to it were getting deformed somehow in the process of being washed in the dishwasher (maybe my dishwashers shouldn't have smashed them into so many too-small spaces) so when I would use them they started rubbing funny against the bowl as they were spinning around. Finally one day, something went crack and I quickly shut the machine down and realized the plastic tops of those beaters had cracked and slivers of plastic were now in my cookie (or whatever it was) dough. Did I carefully pick them out and still use the dough? Yes, I did. No one died thank goodness. Then a couple weeks ago it happened again with a new beater I put on! I still used the dough (I think it was cookies again) and this time it was a closer shave as a couple of the cookies ended up with pieces of plastic in them. Seriously someone could have gotten hurt. I don't know why I am so dumb that I can't stand the thought of throwing away a batch of cookie dough so much that I would take a chance of people bleeding internally and dying. What is wrong with me!? Luckily, we caught both cookies that could have hurt someone but I am now punishing my Bosch. I have a couple paddles that would probably work better than the beaters for the cookie dough I seem to be incessantly making but I refuse to let the Bosch do anything for me. It nearly killed people after all.
So I am using a Cuisinart handheld mixer for stuff but it presents it own problems. It isn't particularly powerful (so no cookie dough) but it gets the light job done. The problem is not having a lid for the various bowls I use that can fit on top while the beater is going. I keep getting covered in whatever it is I'm mixing. I've found a bit of a solution to the problem--I've used plastic wrap and damp paper towels too. My favorite part of using the handheld thing is not having to use the huge clunky Bosch bowl when I just want to do something small. I can just use a small bowl. I've got a dishwasher than complains SO much, SO loudly when there are a lot of dishes--it's very annoying. But the handheld isn't ideal and if it starts to let me down, it better watch out. The griddle might not be so lonely at the dump anymore. :-) Moral of this dumdum lesson--do not fling appliances into your backyard without checking to see if they work in another outlet and definitely do not eat any cookies Linda brings you without taking x-rays of them first.

2 comments:

Grandpa Howe said...

Using a paddle on the Bosch is a good way to make it behave but it may resent you. BTW plastic won't show up on the x-rays ;-).

Rozanne said...

I have had the exact thing happen to me with my mixer and the plastic shards and I still used the dough too (and more than once). I, like you, can't stand to waist it so I just picked out the plastic shards and we all lived! :) Luckily! And sorry to hear about your griddle! :)