Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Dumb Monkey FHE

We managed to squeeze an FHE in last night and it went ok. I get a little intimidated by all the awesome FHE blogs out there but we muddle through the best we can. Here's a picture of Nick from when we were playing murder in the dark. Probably not the most uplifting choice of games especially considering yesterday morning Rose woke up telling us about a nightmare she had where someone was going to shoot us all and she asked the person to wait 5 minutes to shoot us and they agreed and then she said, "And I woke up, so then he couldn't kill me." Way to go Rose.
So anyway, for FHE I happened to read the story somewhere (and decided to use it) that Pres. Kimball told about these guys that were trying to capture these monkeys and all they had to do was put boxes with small holes in the top onto the ground with a nut inside and the monkeys would grab the nut in the box but couldn't pull their hands out because with the nut inside their fists, their hands were then too large to fit back through the small hole. He said even when the captors were pressing in to catch the monkeys, the monkeys would squeal and flail around but they would not let go of that nut. Kind of like how we stay so attached to things that aren't that great for us despite the increasing danger of doing so.  Pres. Kimball was giving a talk on materialism and being too worldly but I added us not being willing to let go of certain character traits, etc. that aren't so good either like being prideful or contentious, etc. and then asked the kids to ask themselves in different situations--"Am I being a dumb monkey?" They all thought that was pretty funny. Then I told everyone to not tell people our FHE lesson was-- "Am I being a dumb monkey?" But now I just told everybody. :-) Not exactly conference material but it works for us!

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I am going to copy this idea, how do you do it all?!

Rozanne said...

Love it! Once again, you inspire me!