Monday, May 9, 2011

That makes no sense

I was just noticing some things the other day that make no sense to me (wish I had 11 things but you can't have it all)--

What is the deal with the size of parchment paper rolls?! Why are they so huge? I have one cookie sheet that it works with but for all my other cookie sheets, jelly roll pans, I have to cut parts off of them. I actually don't like using them because of the cost but they sure do keep stuff from sticking well. So I had 3 useless strips cut off from some baking I'd been doing and I just couldn't throw them away. Today I lined them up and used them together to roll out some crackers. Hah. Still, this makes no sense. Maybe some stores have smaller rolls but the commissary didn't.

What is up with people tinting their front car windows so dark that you can't see anything? I get the part about you wanting to pick your nose, or snort crack without an audience, but seriously--when I meet you at a four way stop at the exact same moment and you are trying to wave me on to go--I CAN'T see you! So we start this jerk a little bit forward game until we both crash in the middle of the intersection...this makes no sense!!

My favorite though is the article I read about the new CFL lightbulbs. They are supposed to last way longer but they do cost a bit more. There was a lady quoted who said she couldn't afford these new bulbs (and I guess they are phasing out the old kind), so she had spent hundreds of dollars to stock up on the older kind. Really? I bet she could have afforded a couple of the CFLs for hundreds of dollars--maybe a coupon would help... ;-) That makes no sense but it was amusing.

And now on to a rant about the English language--Rose is learning to read. She's getting better at it but she is a rule follower and guess what? The English language is full of rules and then nothing seems to follow them. Uh, Rose, the "gh" in "though" is silent. Stop trying to sound it out--it just looks pretty there, ok? Oh, but in "laugh" it's an "f" sound. I guess people just got tired of using "f". It was too boring apparently--so they decided "gh" was good--I mean those two letters do come right after "f" in the alphabet...what??!! Oh, yeah, 'Al"PH"a bet' has a "f" sound too but with a "ph"--gee whiz, Rose, why is this confusing? Why don't you get it? Just learn all these rules and then don't follow them. It's the in thing. It's how we communicate. Because if you wrote "I went to the farmacy to get farmaceuticals for my fobias and all they would give me was acetaminofin--it was just a catastrofe"--no one would ever know what you were saying. But I'm not done Rose. You know the letter "a"--I keep telling you to make a circle with a little stick on the side--no, no, no, not the little "a" you see here in this typing, or in your books, or on your homework paper--that's a special "a"--no one writes it that way--we just type it that way to confuse the living tar out of you some more because we couldn't just stop at making letter sounds difficult (or could it be letters sound difficult?), now could we? The English language makes no sense.

4 comments:

Rozanne said...

You are making crackers now! Awesome! I agree about the English language. You don't realize the complexities until you are trying to teach someone to read. :) And, I had to laugh about the lady who bought all those bulbs! The biggest disadvantage of the CFL's is that it's more cost upfront. Seems the upfront part wasn't a problem.

Lesley said...

I am right there with you on the English language. When we read the scriptures at night Holman will sound out "there" and then the next line down will be "their" then he says, "mom that's not right I just said there and this is how you spell it." So confusing.

Grandpa Howe said...

Very phunny, or should that be ghunny?

treefrogsplace said...

guess what - I do write my "a" like the typed a! :)