
This is for my friend Elke. She is like me and gets intimidated by learning certain things. We are both also afraid to ask people how to do certain things because people can be so mean when the things we don't know how to do seem so simple to everyone else. She taught me how to use the broiler in my oven. I would NEVER have learned this on my own. She even uses hers to make toast so now I know what to do if my toaster dies and we can have crispy re-heated pizza instead of that soggy microwave mess thanks to the few minutes she spent showing me how to use that oven setting. So she and I bought Wondermills near the same time in Arizona and it took me quite a while to start using mine and then I didn't do too much with it but now I am using it ALL the time and I love it. So this post is to help Elke get hers out of its box too! Mine's boxed up for the move right now and I needed some whole wheat tortillas--I can make 20 of them for probably 50 cents and I just paid $2 for 10 of them. Choke. And that bread recipe I've posted, since I double it, takes 18 cups of flour--I love the Wondermill! So to get started, just take all the parts out of the box (it's been a while since I opened mine so bear with me)--you should have the parts you see below. There is a cup that goes on the inside of the lid for the flour bowl and there is supposed to be a black foam disc sitting in the inset on the top of the flour bowl but I lost mine. Hope it wasn't important.

This is what I have my grinder set to. I have no idea why because I can't remember what the directions said but hey, I get great wheat flour and I've ground popcorn kernels for cornmeal this way too.

Below is what the inside of the grinder looks like when I tug off that flour bowl/tube part. You can't wash the grinder so I just hold it over the sink with this part down and gently tap/shake it a bit to get the flour out.

This is the cup I was talking about that goes inside the lid. I don't know what's it's for but I bet it's more important than the foam disc--just make sure you have it pushed on there really good. It has some weird ridges, again--don't know what that's all about but it works.

So you just get the cup stuck on the lid really good, then you press the lid down onto the flour bowl and then insert the "tube" part into the grinder. Press it in a ways because it can pop loose if you don't have it in far enough (and inch or so is about right I think). DO NOT put anything in your grinder until it is on. And it will be loud. It's actually quieter when it's doing the actual grinding. Also, hold onto it when it turns on--mine always lurches sideways at first--it's a powerful motor and you don't want the machine (which cost me $300 or so) to fall on the floor. After the initial lurch, it doesn't move. Pour the wheat into the top part once it's on and let it grind it all. Once all your kernels are gone, the machine will get really loud again. Let it. You want to hear that super loud sound before you turn it off. Once you turn in off it will wind down. WAIT until it is silent to remove your tube/flour connected part. I was impatient once (shocking I know) and tried to pull out the tube before it was quiet--the noise it started making was alarming. Just don't do it. Pop your lid off and put your hands in that warm, fresh flour (or don't be a weirdo and just pour it in a container--I like to use the #10 can I got the wheat from). It is best to freeze wheat flour if you aren't using it right away. It is also best to probably not get wheat as hot as this grinder does but I am not going to stress that much over a few lost nutrients. Even if you don't freeze your wheat flour, I am quite sure it's still better for you than white flour. When you are pouring wheat kernels into the top part to grind, do not fill it more than what you see in my first picture. It is better to have that flour bowl too empty, than too full--you could break your machine....I nearly did. When I first started using it I got impatient (there that word is again) and keep chugging wheat into it, and it pretty much exploded but luckily I was able to get the backed up flour out of the grindy-part. Whew. Don't do that. You'll get used to what amounts are right. Oh and do not grind things that you shouldn't. This is not for any type of "wet" or greasy thing--don't go grinding nuts or anything like that. This website http://www.willitgrind.com/ is the best place to go to find out what you can and cannot do because $300 is a lot of money and you don't want to break your machine! It was so funny around the same time I was frustrated with rolling out tortillas, my SIL Suzie told me to use Pam and then my friend Suzanne posted about the same thing. I was too irritated to make tortillas but Spencer really wanted some so I pretty much gave him the recipe, told him to use Pam and left him to it. And it worked brilliantly! Thanks for that tip. And now I can eat things like this all the time--Yummy!!
2 comments:
Nice!! I use my vitamix to grind my wheat, and it works brilliantly. Just like a blender, I just have to use the other pitcher that is for dry stuff. I grind one #10 can at a time, and I also store mine back in that same can. I guess I should put that can in the freezer, too. I always wondered if the flour would be too cold to keep the yeast alive...hmmm. But I really should try the tortillas too--especially if Spencer can do it! I shouldn't be intimidated. My next goal is to do the ww hamburger and hot dog buns. I like that you are doing this too, I get some great ideas from you!
LOL I just posted my Birthday presents and here you already gave me my wheat grinding lesson. You are soooooo on it! Linda you really are the best!!!!!! luv ya!
Post a Comment