Monday, December 20, 2010

Out of this world Jello



Wait for it.....
It glows in blacklight!
Okay, so more projects came up in December which is fantastic because we had absolutely nothing else going on (Argh!). Spencer had to come up with some 3-D space project thing and I immediately thought Jello! I don't know why, maybe I was hungry. I have a couple tips should anyone like to copy this awesome idea. 1. spray your jello molds (we used everything from a bowl, to a tiny 1/4 teaspoon-spoon) with Pam, I bet they won't be as hard to get out as ours were and they will be prettier 2. Definitely put white cardstock circles under the jello planets before placing on the dark jello. 3. Do not add food coloring to the jello that needs to glow, it makes it not glow. 4. Don't put your info cards in the jello, then take them off, it just makes it look messy (see below).
Anyway, I was so excited when I found out that tonic water will glow under blacklight. I made the jello jiggler planets and Sun with it and then just used regular jello jiggler for the outer space background. I did add food color to that because I needed it dark. Chopped pecans made the perfect asteroid belt.
So apparently tonic water glows because it has quinine in it which I know used to be used to bring down fevers. I mean, Dr. Quinn used it in like every episode. So is tonic water good for you? I have no idea, and it tastes really gross to boot.

Nick had to make a kite in honor of the Kite Runners movie/book/whatever for either Anthropology or Sociology. Now that he's told me what that's about, no thanks. But yea for another project. He was supposed to make it about his family. I don't know if that's the real Howe family crest but we have t-shirts that have it on there so I thought we'd go with it. I let Nick color the yellow squares so he would be involved. Not my best work, but I do try to make things look like the kids actually did them. Parenting award nearly within my grasp.

And just in case you wish to do this awesome solar system project, and you don't know where to get tonic water, just go down the drink aisle near where they sell all the stuff you add to alcoholic drinks and you should find it. Also, Lowe's sells awesome blacklights for $20. Get one for Christmas. You'll be glad you did.

4 comments:

6L's said...

very awesome!

Eric and Rozanne said...

All good ideas! I'll keep them in mind for future use. I hate December projects though...so much going on!! :)

Grandpa Howe said...

You are so beyond clever that it's absolutely astounding!

snapie said...

You are beyond cool!