Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday (a month ago) Spencer!

Hey, at least it's not 7 months past like 2 of his siblings that I have yet to do birthday posts for. Since one of them can't read and the other only cares about facebook, I don't think they've noticed. Whew! :-) This cake was yummy. I am starting to enjoy making homemade cakes. They may not be fancy but they sure taste better.
Here's Spencer with his birthday gifts. The only time of year I ever use wrapping paper for the kids is Christmas. They almost always get birthday presents in brown grocery bags. I know it's lame but I like it. Only problem was we just moved and I didn't have any on hand so I used these boxes we bought for the move from Sam's Club. By the way, Sam's sold these banker boxes (we bought 4 sets, 10 each) and some larger moving boxes which we bought 3 sets of. It was actually cheaper than buying new boxes from Uhaul and this is the first move we've done where we wanted nice new boxes since half our stuff will be staying in them. You can see a green apple on one of the boxes. I used red apples and green apples (post-its) to mark stuff. If it had a red apple--straight to storage in the garage. Green meant in the house. This helped SO much! I didn't have gobs of junk to sort through. Everything I needed was right at hand. Spencer even managed to have his birthday on time.


Here's a few of the gifts he got for his special day. The last one is his favorite although he doesn't know where it is at present. It was free with an added line so yea us, BUT the day after he got it he slipping in the pool we were filling and it was in his pocket! A day or two in dry rice and it works again but we have wisely added the insurance so it's costing us a bit more than we'd like. We just figured with him in middle school this year and doing more things, we'd like him to be able to reach us. We'll see if it was a good idea or not.
One of the cool things on post is this splash park they built at one of the community centers. We went there with some friends on Spencer's birthday just to check it out and the kids loved it! It is free and a lot of fun. There's a full park next to it, so the kids just go back and forth. They are supposed to build 3 more of these on post including one right in our housing area but I bet we'll be gone (fingers crossed hopefully) before we see it.

1 comment:

Eric and Rozanne said...

Splash Park was blast, and Spencer's birthday looks great. Good idea about not wrapping presents except Christmas. Alex still can't keep track of his phone and Jesikah lost her charger for awhile, but Alex mysteriously found it when I put the pressure on... I'm so sorry we forgot to sing to Spencer on his last Sunday. :(