Wednesday, July 14, 2010

All things Indian

Saturday, Hannah got to go to a party but it was a half hour drive to get there and I was stuck with the Suburban guzzling gas so I decided to have some fun in the area by myself which I rarely do. I had been really wanting to go to Tandoor which is an Indian restaurant (probably a chain) but I knew this was not going to be Jeremy-friendly, and to be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to like it so I didn't want to drag any friends and make them waste money too. I have watched several Indian movies over the past several months that I've really enjoyed and just thought it would be fun to try some of their food (not sure if any of it was authentic though). I think Indian movies might be a bit of an acquired taste and I still haven't made Jeremy watch any. I think it might be like him making me watch the Braves. Yuck.
In most of the Indian movies I've watched, they tend to be big on musical numbers. It's a little odd, some more than others, but they are easily skipped so not a big deal. The stories are wonderfully sentimental (I'm surely overly so but I like it) and they rarely even have any kissing despite the fact that most of the ones I've watched are love stories. Now I don't mind kissing, but if they shy away from that then I can feel pretty safe they won't show anything beyond that which is kind of nice. I'm guessing they'll become more American as time goes on and lose their charm but you never know. From what I understand, due to sheer numbers, Bollywood is far more of a money maker than Hollywood. Some of the movies I've enjoyed are Chance de Pance, Kismat Konnection, Jab We Met, Vivah (same actor in all 4--the first two have some weird dance/song numbers I'd skip but very sweet movies), Wake up Sid, Jodha Akbar, Chak de India, Veer Zaara, and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (the last 3 have the same actor, apparently the most famous actor in India). I think Chak De India is the only one that's not a love story but anyway, I just enjoyed them and it's awesome that Netflix streams many of them.
So back to my adventure. I go in this restaurant by myself and the only Indian-sounding drink was a mango lassi which is some kind of yogurt thing. The restaurant was tiny and there's a relatively small buffet. I was a little worried because I know Indian food is famous for being spicy and I am famous for not being spicy, so anyway, I take little bits of most everything up there on the table. I have to admit, I didn't care for most of it. The salad, fruit custard and naan were about the best parts and I still like the naan at the commissary way better. But the mango lassi was outstanding! I could drink that all day long. At $5 a glass, I won't, but it really was so good. The lunch buffet was $10 which I thought was a bit much so let's just say I'm glad I didn't make anyone else go. Unless you really love Indian food--I'd give it a pass. But their movies, way better. :-)

4 comments:

Grandpa Howe said...

You go girl! I was wondering what in the heck could be in that cup...

6L's said...

jessica h. and i went there once and i was glad to have someone with me that knew what and how to eat things. :) i really liked it so lmk if you ever want to go again. i hear the lunch buffet is the best time to go for the price and to try things. apparently, indian food can be costly.

snapie said...

I still wish i would have gone:)

Eric and Rozanne said...

I've been wanting to try that place too. The kids got a free meal there for getting good grades. I've been interested in Indian things lately since our neighbors and good friends are Indian. I'm going to try it sometime if you ever want to go again and thanks for the recommendations of movies. I'm going to watch some. Priya will be so impressed.