Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Spencer is 10

Even with all the craziness, I managed to not forget Spencer's b-day last week during daycamp. I can't believe how big he is getting--none of his gifts from us were "kid" presents which made me kind of sad but Grandma came through with a nerf gun which he loves! We didn't have the time or energy to do anything special but luckily we never do anything special so he didn't notice. Here he is with his loot. We are shuffle people which is probably my fault because I absolutely love mine. Both the older boys have them in silver and dark blue and so we were trying to find another "guy" color for Spencer. Not happening at the stores so I just went to apple.com online and they had red ipods which you can't buy in the store and they even engraved it for free. Awesome. Spencer had "I am a man" engraved on his. I was just glad he didn't want "I am hot and sexy" on it. What a nut. A little explanation on the cake. I am a "special" person (that's for you Tina) when it comes to cake decorating and so after day camp one day last week I summoned up the energy to make Spencer's cake. I decided the frosting in the middle would be even better covered with chocolate pudding so I dumped one of those pudding cups over the frosting in the middle and then plopped down the top cake layer. Guess what. Pudding is really slippery. In a few minutes the top layer of cake was splitting and sliding off the pudding. Lucky for me, it split in a "y" shape and Spencer's name on all his video games, etc. is "Yo" so it became a Yo-cake. I got it into the fridge as fast as I could to stop any more slipping. That helped a little and it tasted great the next day for his b-day but the pudding just absorbed into the cake so it wasn't exactly what I had planned. All that really matters is the frosting though, and it was good and there was lots of it. Yea me.

4 comments:

Eric and Rozanne said...

Way to improvise when things don't work out just how you planned! Love the yo cake...good idea!

snapie said...

When I was in high school I baked my seminary teacher a birthday cake. I had never made one before so as soon as it came out of the oven I popped it out on top of eachother and started to frost. WELL it started to crack so i kept filling it with frosting and this is such a long comment. Spencers cake brought back some great memories. Just so you know my cake was called a crevice cake:)(spelling?)

Grandpa Howe said...

My sister, Bonnie, made one that split so much she dumped it in a bowel and we ate it with spoons, Yo.

The Young's said...

Linda you will look for any excuse to add more frosting, you special, special lady!