Saturday, April 25, 2009

Icosahedrons

I'm a sucker for taking over the kids' school projects and doing them myself. Or a chump or a cheat or whatever you want to call me. Anything artistic and I really throw myself into it. An unnamed child needed to make a polyhedron for math class and so I told him I'd "help". I literally spent an entire day working on this because although I am good at the artistic-part of things--I am an idiot at the rest of it. The project had to be made out of a material stronger than just paper so I laminated some cardstock I had colored and it worked great. I decided to make an icosahedron because it's just 20 equilateral triangles. Easy-peasy.It was just too small. The finished project was supposed to be 10-12 inches high. Apparently this just meant it had to be bigger than that. I thought it had to literally be in between 10 and 12 inches. Now imagine a person who is severely math-challenged (despite her dad having a doctorate in mathematics) trying to figure out how to make this icosahedron end up between 10 and 12 inches high. I also didn't want to laminate every piece of cardstock left in the house and I wasn't about to waste any more time coloring and then I came across some plastic "For Sale" signs I bought one time for a Relief Society lesson. I am so glad I kept them! I got the idea to put a bunch of luxury homes and cars on some of the triangles with the For Sale signs as the rest. I also managed to make it exactly 11 inches high through some serious struggling. It think it turned out awesome but I have to stop this. My kids are never going to learn anything and I'm going to end up a miserable, mean old woman trolling through the schools trying to find kids who'll let me do their science projects. :-)

4 comments:

Anne Osman said...

You are such a nice mom. I know my kids would love to have you as their Mom when it came to help with stuff like that because I am the opposite. I only minimally help. I will sit next to them while they do it, and offer advice but that is about it.

snapie said...

I like the double meaning in the project!!!! You are so smart!! Do you want to write a research paper for me? jk

Grandpa Howe said...

You really do ROCK!

Eric and Rozanne said...

That's very cool! I could use a little of your creativity! Thanks for being such a great teacher for Jesikah. She sure loves you!