Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Amish Friendship Bread

An interesting thing about this area is the presence of an Amish community. I'm not sure it's one or more than one but I do know we see Amish-ish people often. I say Amish-ish because I don't know if they are Mennonites or some other thing and I have no idea how they are all related to each other and coming from a religion that gets confused with all sorts of things, I'm trying to be careful. Anyway, when I see women in bonnets I'm pretty sure they are Amish or something like it. So our next door neighbor asked us if we'd like some starter for Amish Friendship bread and I said sure. I love to bake and I've never used any kind of starter before. During general conference it was finally time to cook the bread so I did and it is really, really good but it is so rich it is more like cake than bread. I'm good with that.

4 comments:

snapie said...

So where is the recipe????

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

When we lived in upstate NY we had a lot of Amish and Mennonite around us. It's a really interesting group to learn about and we went to a couple of Mennonite farms for random things. If you get a chance, do that - very cool stuff. Anyway, if they are in carriages with bonnets they are most likely Amish. If they are dressed fairly conservatively but driving in cars, men may or may not have some facial hair (instead of full beards and straw hats) they are Mennonite. Mennonites run the gamut of dress but they'll usually be on the more pioneer looking side dressed very practically. Amish are practically in uniform and you'll rarely see the women interact with the public. Not so with the Mennonites. Amish are actually an off-shoot of Mennonites. I thought it would have been the other way around but it isn't. The Amish thought the Mennonites were going to liberal.

Anyway...
As to your spice issue I'd just use about the same portions I have in that recipe. Allspice may be redundant. I'd also taste it and see how you like the filling and go from there, it seems to me like you might want to add about a 1/4 cup of brown sugar. I wouldn't use a light hand on the cinnamon but otherwise the recipe sounds good and I think I'll try it.

Anne Osman said...

I was just given a starter along with a loaf of it already made. It is very good and I am excited to make it again, I have 3 more days to go.

6L's said...

fyi, since you hadn't had it before. you can leave out the cinnamon and dusting the pan w/sugar and such and use ANY jello pudding flavoring. it makes such great breads (or cakes, as i agree w/you). i just did lemon...yum! i've done diff flavors and added choc chips, nuts, raspbery truffle pieces to chocolate flavored. the pumpkin spice is great too! the ways to change it are endless since they now make so many pudding flavors! YUM! also, you can freeze the 4 new starters and pull them out anytime and add the other ingredients and bake instead of doing this 10 day process forever!