Tonight was the perfect ending to a pretty good weekend. We munched on Puppy chow and watched Summer Magic. I love that movie. Since we didn't have any Crispix, we had to make the chow out of half rice chex and half toasted oatmeal squares. It was actually pretty good. I took this time as the chance to finish up a little amigurumi turtle I designed but I couldn't find it at first. I asked Rose (who just turned 4 last month) where it was and she started looking around with me for it, then she waves her hand in the air and goes, "Just make another one. That one sucks." Oh my goodness. (I know I'm a horrible mom for letting her use that word but with 3 older brothers, she's not going to stop saying it anytime soon). Rose has been such a goofball lately. I suddenly realized the screaming fits have really wound down lately and she's actually becoming a lot more fun to be around. All week she has been going by the name of "Frankie Disgusting" and calling me "Umbrella Beautiful". I have no idea what that is all about.
Yesterday we finally went to the cannery here in Nashville (officially it's in Hendersonville) and met up with Melissa there. It's much further for her to drive (2 hrs.) than for us (45 min.) and when we got there for our 9am appt. no one was there. Well, actually some people were waiting outside to get in and we were talking to Mel in our car (because it was raining) and then all of a sudden, everyone gets in their cars and drives off??? It took us a while to figure out what happened, but the Scruggs(?) (the couple in charge of the cannery) forgot the key and had to go all the way back home to Franklin to get it (I couldn't be upset with them at all because it was Bro. Scruggs that forgot it--and I'm married to someone who would have done that exact thing). So they actually didn't open the cannery until 11 or so when a whole other set of people had appts. to can. They had to open the bishop's storehouse side to make room for all of us to can and I am so grateful I've been to the Tucson cannery a few times or I would have had no idea what was going on. Here there's no order to fill out 3 months in advance--You just go in and get what you want from the back (whatever they have on hand that you want) and start canning it at your own table. Very different from Tucson where as a ward/stake you do one product at a time and thoroughly clean the entire area before moving on to a different product. Jer was a little worried that some of the onion flakes that were canned were getting into our oatmeal but he'll live. Luckily some of the couples that were canning in the storehouse part with us were super nice and everyone was helping everyone else. I didn't even have to can flour (which I hate)--they all did it for me. We actually had a very enjoyable time and it was great to spend all that time with Melissa. But we were pretty tired by the time we got home (poor Mel had twice as far to go by herself) and because we were way later than we anticipated, the kids were melting down pretty quick too. I'm just excited that we have a cannery this close and now I feel like I know what I'm doing.
3 comments:
Rose is too cute for words and Linda, I have always thought you are umbrella beautiful!
Sounds like a great weekend to me. I love Summer Magic, too!
Just wanted to let you know that we are excited to do Flat Stanley. Yeah, it's a little work but it will force me to go somewhere cool this week. I think we'll take him to the beach so the picture can really look like Hawaii. It came on Saturday and Chandler has been bugging me all this time to do something about it. Now that my tooth is on the mend he won't have to wait too much longer. =)
Puppy Chow? It's a good thing you explained that or I would have thought you and your entire family had gone crazy! I imagined you all sitting around your living room with a big bag of dog food in the middle of it and eating it for some bizarre reason.
Post a Comment