Monday, January 12, 2009

Cereal and Nuts

We have family and friends that are in the hospital right now and we hope they all know that our thoughts and prayers are with them.
Now for my boring life (which I'm very thankful for--the life and the boring part). We got a pretty good electric bill from December. It wasn't quit $350 but it was close. I was so surprised in August when we ran the A/C nonstop and the bill wasn't quite $200. Talking to locals is always enlightening and several of them warned us the big bills are in the winter when it gets cold. Well, it got up to 70 one day in December but it was also 7 at one point. Looks like it will be 7 again later this week. What is wrong with this place? Why not a good round 5 or 10? Guess we better start saving for this month's bill too. Makes military housing look a little more inviting although we are still resisting the ghetto on Ft. Campbell. Ft. Huachuca spoiled us good. We talked to the kids about making sure lights, etc. are turned off just to help a little with the bill. I doubt that'll make $5 worth of difference but imagine my suprise when Nick starts ragging on me about leaving the treadmill plugged in. I'm like whatever, it wasn't on, it's not using electricity and he goes into this tirade about how even things that are plugged in use electricity especially if there are lights on the plug that light up even when the appliance is not being used and then he starts telling me how if I cut one minute off my shower I can save 7 gallons of water which is a thousand gallons a year (I'm just throwing out numbers here, these aren't exactly what he said) and so on. I felt a little weirded out that my kid should be so "green" all of a sudden and assumed it was coming from some Al Gore-loving teach :-) at the HS. I asked him how he knew all this and he runs to the pantry and comes back with a box of cereal and procedes to read the entire contents on the back to me which includes all the previous energy-saving info. My kids fight over looking at the cereal boxes every morning while they are eating but I assumed it was to read some dumb jokes or more product placement on the back. Who knew they were getting such a good education? Now I can't just pick cereals based on sugar or fiber or vitamin content --I have to check out the info on the back too. Nick said the information on the one box he was reading was "like Gospel Principles but not all churchy". What a nut. Mentioning nuts, I have 5 of them and they are all budding movie directors/actors/producers who really want me to post their latest effort. So here goes if you have the time. It is in slow-mo at the beginning. They have been experimenting with special effects.

6 comments:

Teah said...

That video was great! Very entertaining. There is probably never a dull moment in your house:)

Benjamin said...

My kids loved the video! I liked the credits the best :) I too love reading the back of cereal boxes although I don't retain information long enough to tell anyone else about. Nick is too fun.

The Young's said...

Linda,
You guys are having too much fun. I just caught up on reading your blog and man do we miss you guys! We will have to visit. I'll wait until after you have your Healys!

Grandpa Howe said...

You are right. They are NUTS!

Miranda said...

I;ve seen this video so many times..and it just gets funnier sped up and slowed down. LOVE YOU GUYS!!

i loved the little shout out at the end. you can almost make out my name :DD

snapie said...

Hey, Love the video, right up my alley. The popcorn song is on playlist.com I looked it up and to my surprise they had it. Hey is that miranda stanley up there she sure is giving good pout.WOW. They grow up so fast.