Tuesday, January 20, 2009
65 and alive
I'm going to brag about my dad now although he doesn't read my blog (nor does my mom) so he'll never know about it. My dad turned 65 a month or so ago. I think it was last year that he decided he was going to do a 100 mile marathon. Normal marathons are 26 miles so this is a marathon times 4 basically. Why on earth anyone would want to do this is beyond anything I can comprehend but he wants to. And that means he will. He ran his first half-marathon in November and will do his first full one on March 7th in Albany, GA. It has it's own website (www.albanymarathon.com) and is a Boston marathon qualifying race so that's impressive. He actually just did a "practice" one last Saturday and was well under the 7 hour requirement to enter. He says he's going to do 2 more "practices" before the real one in March. I just love that he is doing this because it gives me great hope. He has spent a good part of his life being overweight and yet has managed to find a real way to maintain an excellent weight later on in life. I believe one of the first things he did when he got serious about losing weight was the 10,000 step thing. I like it so I think I'm going to try it. (It's 2pm and I am at 7697 steps.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What is the 10,000 steps about?
Just to clarify--the 10,000 step program is where you focus on walking that many steps a day and wear a pedometer to keep track. I made it to 10,412 today but I had to use the treadmill and some Wii Fit games to get there!
I love to hear a great story like that. I have been really sad since Oprah got fat again. It makes me feel like there is no hope. But if your dad can do it. so can I. I like the 10,000 step program. I need to give it a try.
WHAT?! Is he nuts! That's like running to Phoenix. Good for him though. I'm just jealous. I've been doing the WiiFit and stationary bike but nothing like that. I did yoga on the WiiFit this morning and thought I was going to die! My thighs still hurt.
Post a Comment