Sunday, July 6, 2008

Dodo birds aren't so extinct

I have become the worst flyer in the world and I'm not sure how this happened. I remember in my earlier years thinking it was fun to fly and looking forward with great excitement to my free peanuts and soda. It's been over 5 years since I've flown anywhere (and that was to get kidney stones blasted in Anchorage while we were living in Fairbanks--obviously a leisure trip). So this past week I decided to fly in to Nashville and meet up with my mom and sister and drive into Clarksville/Ft. Campbell to check out the area and do some house hunting. I realized at the last minute that the idea of flying has become terrifying to me and I really didn't want to go anymore but plane tickets (especially Priceline ones) aren't very refundable. So I had to go. The first plane I had to get on going from Tucson to Atlanta had mechanical problems with the door so we were an hour late leaving (so I missed my connection, blah, blah). I flew Delta the whole way which my dad says stands for Doesn't-Ever-Leave-The-Airport. Anyway, once we were finally boarding, I step through the plane door and see the pilot standing there making himself an alcoholic drink. I'm thinking, ok, all the planes that crash have mechanical problems before leaving the ground so check off that box. Now our pilot is getting drunk (because he knows we are going to die too) so check off that box too. As the plane takes off from the ground, a couple sitting next to me clasps their hands together tightly and since the guy was next to me with his wife on the other side, I was VERY tempted to ask if I could hold his other hand but I restrained myself. I really could have used it though. About half an hour goes by and the plane is still climbing and I see the pilot up front with his drink in his hand NOT flying the plane. I'm about to faint at this point and then it dawns on me, that the guy is not the pilot--he's a steward. I forgot guys could have that job too. That's what I get for being a sexist. So the drinking pilot turns out to be the first class steward and I'm an idiot. I would have chuckled to myself but vomit might have gotten involved, so again I restrained myself. Anyway, you don't want to hear about the 3 other planes I had to catch or the fact that I got worse instead of better. I just wanted to scream at the people on the planes that seemed so nonchalant--don't you know you are about to DIE?! I think tranquilizers are in order next time. Or at least a friend to fly with.

4 comments:

Grandpa Howe said...

I can hardly wait to fly back from there...on Frontier no less. I thought they went out of business back in the 1960s after I flew on that Bi-plane to LA on my way to Guatemala for my mission.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Linda you CRACK me up. I'm done flying but that's only because me and the kids feel like we've been on a national airport tour for the last six weeks. When your kids knows all of the major airports by their 3-letter codes and can identify airlines by the tail of the plane (even obscure ones like Frontier) you know you've overdone the summer vacation plans.
I say next time we go flying all the ladies join up somewhere fun for a girls vacation...NO KIDS.

BTW I was at church yesterday in random suburban DC and ran into a couple that knew Jeremy and the Stanleys from Korea. Random ehh?

Suzanne said...

I have developed an unhealthy fear of flying over the years, too! It was much easier as a kid when I was blissfully unaware of all the possible dangers. I have to admit, I started getting a little freaked out on the ferris wheel at Disneyland, too. Jared just laughs at me.

Dixie said...

I hear ya!! Not looking forward to that 12 hour flight back to the States!! Are there any giant horse pills I can take!?!