Thursday, May 22, 2008

$10,000 collection

I have a collection worth $10,000. The collection is made up these things called DVDs and at $20 a shot when you have over 500 of them… well, that just adds up really quick (this is what happens when you turn the cable off--we just buy everything under the sun). Man, I could’ve bought a car or my stinking trip to Disneyworld (2012, don't forget). So I decided to save $$ by just saying no to new DVDs and then putting the money I would have spent into a savings fund. Since making that decision I’ve bought Alvin and the Chipmunks, My Little Pony Princess Promenade and some Care Bear thing. It’s going really well. I might have a dollar saved by Christmas. It’s amazing how careless we’ve been with such a pricey collection too. I’d say at least a quarter of the DVDs are so scratched, they are useless. Some of my kids have used these DVDs as house-skates in the past. I guess it’s kind of like buying a car and letting your kids tap dance on it with metal cleats.

5 comments:

Benjamin said...

use silver polish on DVDs and CDs it works like a charm! available at your local ace hardware store.

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of money! It's amazing how much it adds up here and there. Care Bears are cute!

Suzie Howe said...

I would say about 1/2 of our dvd's are destroyed.I have given up on buying dvd's. We just watch netflix and hopefully return them before the dvd falls into the ever destructive hands of JJ.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

seriously on teh silver polish? i'm the dvd nazi around here. you don't TOUCH the dvds without asking mom or you DIE. That doesn't mean there aren't a few that haven't fallen victim to children - especially before I became such a shrew about them. I feel your pain.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I just tagged you... don't let me down Linda!