Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sex Ed

I hope this doesn’t make my blog require some kind of PG-13 rating, but since I had to deal with this so does everyone else. Now I’ve got everyone’s attention, right? :-) My 9th grader came home today with a permission slip for some kind of sex-ed program/play/weird thing they are going to make all the kids at the high school attend next Thursday. On the permission sheet, they mention that they are going to hand out prophylactics (I’m trying to be kid-friendly with my words here) to anyone who is asking but that they are still a “pro-abstinence” program. What do they think these kids are going to do with this lovely gift? Use it to carry their loose change? Hang it on their wall for decoration? I’m not dumb enough to think that my kids don’t deal with WAY worse stuff on a daily basis but I draw the line at actually signing a permission slip for such a thing. Instead my son will be at home next Thursday watching whatever he wants on TV and eating bon-bons.

3 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Good for you. I'd also write them a letter and yell really loudly. Ok, maybe I wouldn't yell.

Although, keeping him home certainly limits the "my mom is embarrassing me" factor rather than making him sit in the library or something.

You're so cool.

Tina said...

I have to agree with you here Linda. I remember this happening in grade school when I was in school and sure enough..........a water balloon fight broke out!! Someone finally told me in high school that they were not actually balloons!

Anonymous said...

Last year, one boy who was supposed to be in fifth had to go to something like that and they gave him a package full of all sorts of stuff that he didn't need at that young of an age. It's like a stay-off-of-sugar program in which they tell you not to eat it and then show you lots and lots of pictures of the tasty treats and then even hand some out at the end and tell you 'don't eat it'.