
Junior starts his first job today. It feels really great to have 2 kids that are working. Junior may have to get 2 jobs if he doesn't end up with enough hours from this one though. I feel like a seesaw--on the one hand I feel guilty we can't provide all the free stuff other kids get from their parents, and on the other hand, I think they will be the happier for it--but it just depends on when you talk to me and the level of perspective I am enjoying at that time. I was going to borrow a title from a friend's recent post--"Now that's just mean"--and talk about how we just got to spend $487 (that $500 deductible is kinda dumb) to replace the back window to Nick's truck last week when the grill we took to a church activity in said truck slammed into the window. No one was hurt except our pocketbook but it's been hurt so much lately, I think it just giggled. Felt like a tickle at this point. I ordered Nick's senior pictures yesterday but barely spent over $100. Lame of me I know but hey, I just spent $492.80 to take his wisdom teeth out, and $628.00 to take Junior's out (he would have to have 5 instead of 4). That's
with dental insurance. And the boys did really well with that by the way. They are recovering nicely.

Here's the younger kids at the park. I normally don't take the kids to the park--that's Jer's job-- but we needed some pictures with a "flat Stanley" their cousin Kate sent to Rose, so I took them. Jer has actually been great recently at giving me a couple hours a week to myself while he takes the kids swimming at the Y or to a park or something.

This last week he did it and as I was sitting there working on this project (below) for Hannah for school while I had the house completely to myself and could have been doing something else, I started wondering what my problem was. I should be letting her do this. I know it. I just can't stop. Everyone who'se ever read this blog knows I can't stop. And then I realized what my problem is. I have this uncontrollable need to create things and a huge guilt complex about spending any time doing just that. If I am not creating something "for" someone, then I am in full guilt mode. I should be doing laundry (and I counted last week--I do something like 18 loads a week, which is 3 a day not including Sundays of course--how lame is that?), cleaning, cooking, blah, blah...so when a child comes to me and needs anything creative done--I jump all over it.

I still remember the time I helped Junior do a science project and he actually won. $100 even. And he wouldn't give me any of it. :-) Hannah is still managing to learn to be creative on her own and she did do some of the work on the poster and even used the Cricut a little bit. So it
could be worse. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment