Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Picture-less

It's been a while since I've just posted without pictures. I'm always composing blog posts in my head, too bad they never make it on here. I have a half hour to myself right now so I thought I'd use it. Now my mind is blank. Nice. Uh, let's see, lot of things are changing. Having two kids working, one in college, one in high school, one in middle school, two in elementary and a baby at home is taxing my sanity. Remind me how you did this again Barbara (with four more)? Wow.
Something really neat is about to happen for us--one of Jeremy's younger sisters and her husband are moving to this area. It's really exciting that we will have family closer than we ever have our entire military career. And I have been feeling bad that Isaac was kind of going to grow up without a close playmate yet I am NOT about to have another kid, but Sarah (Jer's sister) is expecting her first! And my girls are so excited about this, especially because she's having a girl, which is what they wanted from us. :-) I am also super excited because I have been on another health kick and Sarah and her husband (if I understand correctly) are very fit and health-conscious. I went a little veggie-crazy at Walmart last week and have been having the most fun ever cooking up things. Now I might have someone to share stuff like that with! I have got to post some of the recipes I've made because they are SO healthy and SO good. I love it when you hit the jackpot instead of slogging through one disgusting mess after another. Although Jer would say that's what it is. :-) I am driving my kids to try things they never have...I can't believe Spencer eats salsa and he loves it. And Hannah who has been my pickiest lately, tried hummus finally and LOVED it! It helped that this time when I bought a lot of healthier options I also didn't stock the pantry with granola bars and things for them to eat in case they hated my food. For myself, this past week I decided to avoid refined sugar, meat and dairy. And I've eaten a ton of vegetables and have been so full, yet have lost 2 lbs. already. I have made sure to have something sweetened with just a little honey everyday because I know what happens if I totally go off all sweeteners and then have some. It isn't pretty. Sugar is truly a drug for me. This week has been rough too. Isaac has had a few days where he screams more than not it seems (teething I hope) and I didn't realize how much I've been using sweets to "make it all better". Having to handle it without my drug led to a couple breakdowns. I'm talking about just sobbing. Nice, huh? But when I pass through those and don't give in, I feel stronger after and handle things just a little better. I'm not going vegan or trying to do anything crazy and new--just trying to follow the word of wisdom a little more closely and pay more attention to my body. I have also been blessed that Isaac's favorite thing to do is go for walks. I can do 2 miles without him fussing at all in that little umbrella stroller I stole from Tina. :-) I don't know how to be healthy and it is a process to learn and implement things, then change as needed. But I am hopeful for the future. Well, the kids are about to get off the bus, but hopefully I'll have some time to get those recipes up later for anyone else that might be interested.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

You know I'm interested! I have to work on making subtle changes for my family, to bring them along without making any drastic changes. Right now my changes are kind of a lot, so I haven't really expected anyone else to join in. You're being a great example of small changes for everyone!

6L's said...

small changes are best and much more lasting. i feel your pain as my hubby hates a lot of things i make too. i think they are great, but his taste buds are geared for junk. it's a process for sure! in regards to going vegan or raw, i hear it can take a person up to 10 years to transition.....makes sense to me, even not going raw or vegan, just to change bad habits that we have learned since childhood. i was thinking in regards to using food for boo boos and meltdowns, that is exactly how we create emotional eaters. i have really been making a conscious effort not to do that lately. good luck with everything!