
The weather here has been SO nice lately. During conference it was breezy and barely 70 I think. We had the windows opened and we all snuggled in blankets as we listened to conference together. When I commented before the second Saturday session how great the weather felt and how happy I was, Rose goes, "Mom....don't get too comfortable." :-)

So now it's time to report on our garden. This is the first garden we've ever done, we spent a bit of money to do it, and we just hoped for the best. We got corn to grow. We didn't think it would, but we would have had 3 ears of corn if the ants hadn't gotten it. Our pumpkin plants grew so quickly and never produced anything. They flowered and everything. I would have had two onions if I'd been a little more patient (ahem). I also would have had some lettuce if I'd picked it when I should have (ahem). Peas should not be planted in the heat of the summer. BUT we did do one thing right. And it's the one thing no one can eat right now--canteloupe. How weird is that? (The reason no one is eating canteloupe right now is due to a listeria outbreak on a national level--just a little historical note for my blog book). In fact our cantelope are growing like mad. Now the ants are getting into them too. I think we are going with pesticides next year. Too bad environment. And our health. But if we can't get the food before the pests do, it doesn't do much good to have them pesticide free does it? Just like when people say "the whiter the bread, the sooner you're dead"...well, no bread makes it even sooner.

We ate our first canteloupe and it wasn't that great. I thought it wasn't nearly as sweet as what you get at the store. But then the kids were fighting over it, so maybe it didn't matter.
Isaac just loves to be outside although he is not a fan of the prickly grass. And he is getting so close to being a year old, he's even taking a few steps now.
3 comments:
Your garden looks good! And, yes, figuring out how to garden is an experiment. That's cool about the canteloupe- someone in our Montgomery ward was growing tomatoes during that tomato problem one year (I think it was e-coli that time) and her daughters would sell them to the neighbors for a bit of money.
First off WE MISS YOU!!!!2nd Isaac is so cute!!!! awesome job on the cantelope:) We had the exact same issue with the pumpkins:P Hmmmm
We have had that problem with squash before that you had with the pumpkins. I was told it was because they have to cross-pollinate so you have to plant 4-6 seeds per mound. Maybe that was it? Congrats on the cantaloupe. Your garden was more successful than ours. We did get some cucumbers, but they were all bitter! Our watermelons didn't mature, and we did get a few tomatoes.
You all snuggling up for conference with the windows open sounds so cozy! It makes wish we had done that. I LOVE this weather. This is the time I wait for all year.
Post a Comment