I have been cooking and baking and cooking and baking and cooking and baking...you get the idea. I am trying to make things healthier for my family. It is really hard. When that doctor in that article I blogged about earlier talked about it not being practical to eat super-healthy I think he wasn't being a jerk, he just knew what he was talking about. It is time consuming and pricey. It is expensive to eat fresh fruits and veggies all the time. Just ask my budget. I went from being $300 under budget last month, to breaking even this month. It wasn't
just food, but it didn't help. And who has a personal chef on hand to grind wheat on a daily basis and bake bread every other day and make all sorts of healthy yumminess...guess that would be me. But it is like having a real job! On top of all the work 6 kids takes. I am exhausted! Can't wait to add a garden into this. :-) But some good might come of this. I have SO many recipes I want to share. Many of them are from the heavenlyhomemakers site but I always change things here and there and I also love it when people share real recipes...not just the ingredients and directions but the little side comments too. This was dinner one day and now I can't remember what it was!! Don't ask me why I stuck this picture here.

But the recipe at the heavenlyhomemakers site for whole wheat pie crust is really amazing! No need for pastry flour. Plain yogurt is the trick here. I thought the butter content was too high so I halved it--it's not great. Leave it the way it is.

I made these pizza pockets and just filled them with sauce and onions and peppers. No cheese. They rock.

They cook beautifully and they freeze super well and can be cooked later too.

It's not health food exactly BUT if you are dying to have a pizza pocket or just throw some jam in there and call it a poptart--you are still getting something WAY better than what is at the store and these are so easy it's not funny. It's yummy.
Pie Crust
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup (that is 2 sticks!) melted butter
1 cup plain yogurt
Stir ingredients together until mixed thoroughly. Roll out to make pie crust and pie topping or little pizza pockets (or poptart pockets). I know I'm not being very exact but the pie thing I kind of figured out on my own and uh...now I can't remember what I did. But the directions for the pizza pockets are to roll out small balls and then put sauce on and whatever topping and then fold in half, use a fork and press edges together all the way around the half circle so they look all cool and all that goodness is sealed inside pretty well. You can freeze the pockets on wax or parchment paper for an hour, then put in freezer safe bags and pop back in freezer to use later. You can also just bake them right away at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. If they are frozen, just bake them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Works like a charm. I did some with peach jam and they leaked peach juice everywhere, thank goodness I had foil on the pan. The dough this makes is really incredible but the amount of butter in one of these gives me a bit of heartburn. I consider that a good thing because I can't eat very many.
2 comments:
you may be able to tweak that butter with some coconut oil. you are right about some things taking a long time. you could spend a whole day prepping food! i've done that before and decided i would never do it again. it sure was delicious though! that is one perk to eating raw, ain't much prep, lol. now if i can just get myself to get in that mind frame again. :) good luck to you on your baking ventures!!
Linda, this is awesome! I love the heavenly homemakers site...although I'm still trying to get ahold of some white wheat, since our cannery is on back order. (Grumble). I love the pie crust thing, I'm going to have to try it. I have found so many fun recipes to do with it! Individual meat pies, breakfast pies filled with scrambled eggs and cheese--or whatever you want. Fruit pies, ANYTHING. You are doing amazing things. Way to go!!
Post a Comment