Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Not Ready
Wow, things have been so terrible for so many people lately. I tend not to comment too much on the goings-on in the world on my blog. But the earthquake in Japan was the first shocker. It is terrible that so many people have lost their lives and there are still problems with nuclear fears but how thankful I am that the people in Japan have built things as well as they did. I don't think too many of our big cities in the US would fare as well. From things I have read, it is believed Japan shifted by about 8 feet and this was the 5th largest earthquake to have occurred since 1900. We have so much going on in our lives getting ready for this move in a couple months all I could think was wow, I am so not ready for something like that. My sister told me at Christmas about the Lost boys from the Sudan and I recently watched a little documentary on Netflix about it and was just heartbroken at what these people have gone through during my lifetime basically. I can't imagine living happily in your country one day and then the next, you are fleeing for your life and not able to return for years and years. The suffering in many parts of Africa is just beyond imagining. And it goes on and on and on. I am really not ready for something like that. Just a couple days ago, a lady in our branch had a terrible accident and we thought she was not going to live. It happened after church, after we had exchanged hellos with their family in the hallways, after she taught Spencer's primary class, after she played piano in primary for us. I just kept thinking over and over about her three children and how they could not lose their mother or the husband his wife. This is a family that we knew in Arizona (the Wuollets for those of you that might know them) where a terrible accident there took the life of their 7 year old boy. I know they also have lost a baby. I could not even imagine them having to lose the mom in that family. They have suffered so much. Through phone calls and texting, many people were contacted and began praying. Jer and the boys happened to be in Nashville (for a regional lds choir rehearsal) where she was taken to the hospital and they went over to the hospital meeting up with our good friend Strati who was actually with the Wuolletts at the scene of the accident the day their boy died in Arizona. As Jer, the boys, Strati and our branch president and his counselor waited with Bro. Wuollett, I would get updates on my phone from the boys. At first, it did not seem hopeful at all and Jer said they wouldn't let anyone in at all so no blessing had been given. Finally they were allowed in and she was given a blessing. I breathed a little easier at that point. This morning we were told that things were looking better. Her skull was fractured and I know it is still very, very serious. Anyone who knows her and even those of you that don't, please include her and her family in your prayers and at the temple if possible. I will never be ready for something like that. Now I realize none of these people were prepared for any of these events either. No one asked their permission to turn their lives upside down. Things just happen. There's nothing you can do but deal with it. I was amazed to read about the people in Japan staying in homeless shelters after the earthquake that would still remove their shoes when entering the building, still recycle garbage, still be polite to each other. I was amazed to watch and hear about those boys from the Sudan that have been transplanted in the US and how much they want to go home and help those left behind. And I was amazed at the strength in the Wuolletts when they lost their son in Arizona. They are wonderful people who are very friendly and kind. I pray that everything will be okay and she will recover fully. Our thoughts and prayers are constantly with them. I used to think sometimes when bad things happened that I was being punished for not being good enough of a person and then someone said once that we do not strive for perfection so that life never affects us but rather that we strive for perfection so we can handle things when life does (and it will) affect us. I say it badly but you get the idea. So my thoughts right now are turned towards doing the things I know are right--right now, because none of these people I've talked about got to go back and get ready. The are in the refiner's fire whether they like it or not. And I am SO thankful that conference is this weekend. Since having the baby, I haven't been to the temple and while I love being the Sunbeam teacher, I don't get a whole lot of whatever it is that I need from the "I am thankful for birds and insects" kind of lessons, so conference will be so deeply appreciated by me. I always get the whole "out of the world" feeling after and am so uplifted and encouraged to do what is right. I can't wait. But my heart is heavy now for those that suffer so much. I cannot even imagine. I can only hope they find that peace they need in their darkest moments. The peace the Savior promised. I like what it says on the church website under Peace-- "But we can feel peace even in times of war, and we can lack peace even when no war is raging. The mere absence of conflict is not enough to bring peace to our hearts. Peace comes through the gospel—through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, the ministration of the Holy Ghost, and our own righteousness, sincere repentance, and diligent service."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
linda, i appreciate this post as my heart has been heavy as well. i am right there with ya on non temple attendance and not getting what i need from church right now. mine is more due to a 1 year old running around and not sleeping though. ;) it's all i can do some weeks to make myself go and i see how easily people can fall away without really even meaning to. japan has been a shining example for people being humane....that behavior certainly wouldn't happen here as we have seen all the looting and violence when stuff happens in the states. thanks for the post! we are all ready for conference too!!!! maybe i will hear a few words from home, lol! thank goodness for recording!!
Thanks for the post. I am looking forward to conference too. The Africa situation reminds me of a woman we heard speak at Timeout for WOmen from Sierra-Leone in Africa. She lost everything and still found the Savior and the gospel. One of my favorite quotes from TOFW was, "Allow furious winds to draw you closer to Him"--meaning when times are tough, we can see that as an opportunity to draw closer to the Lord. It also reminds to be grateful everyday.
Oh Linda my heart hurts for your friends, I will pray for a miracle and for the family to have peace.
I love to kind of bask in the glow of conference. This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Atonement then went right into teaching the Gospel Doctrine class about Jesus being the Bread of Life. It was spiritually draining but refreshing at the same time.
Bad times are hard but they pass, as do the good times. Christ's love for us (Atonement)is the grand equalizer.
We will pray for your friends.
Post a Comment