Friday, July 16, 2010

Army Band perks

Jer's being in the Army band does have it's perks. He had to play at a Summerfest celebration Saturday in Ashland City which is about an hour south of here. The organizers offered all the band members and their families free arm-bands to ride all the rides. Sweet! These are like $20 a piece which would have cost our family over a hundred bucks.

As you can see below, I made up for the free arm-bands by buying over-priced garbage from the vendors. I felt it was my duty to give a little back. Plus the kids had never had funnel cake (nor I for that matter) or a deep-fried Snickers bar so here was our chance. I bought one of each and we all shared. The snickers just tasted like a hot, melted snickers inside corn-dog batter and the funnel cake tasted an awful lot like the doughnuts my dad made by frying refrigerated biscuits. Those were really good so I liked that and so did Spencer!

I mostly got pictures of the girls' riding on rides because the boys all disappeared. Oh yeah, the people in charge even gave us free food for dinner but I couldn't get the girls to leave the ride area and go eat. So the three of us had junk for dinner. Guess the guys were smarter.



The organizers were actually an arm-band short and so I was left out. I had no intention of going on any rides anyway so I told the guy not to worry about it but he ran off and brought me this free t-shirt. Awesome.



It was a pretty fun time that ended with a nice fireworks show. As long as we keep getting free stuff--we'll be back! :-)

2 comments:

Eric and Rozanne said...

Score! That is so awesome! And if you've never tried funnel cake, it was long overdue. We usually get one funnel cake to share everytime we go to something like that. It's just not the same without the fair food. My other fair favorites are corn on the cob and italian ice when we can find it. I've never tried the fried Snickers bar.

Grandpa Howe said...

Fairs are the best. Though I only liked the rides because I was too cheap to waste my hard-begged money trying to win some dopey prize for whatever girl was with me.