My Dad just ran his second full marathon a week ago today and it was quite the adventure. He said it was completely different from the first one because it was not an easy path. He sent me the following email which includes another participant's view of the course and hopefully he won't mind me including it here although he doesn't read my blog so he'll never know. :-)
"Apparently I wasn’t the only one who thought the course was a bit rough-
I found this review on a marathon details web site-
A Real Test (about: 2009)
Course: 3 Organization: 4 Fans: 2
P. P. from Georgia (10/4/09)
11-50 previous marathons 1 Triple Lakes Trail Race
'Entering this trail marathon, I looked at the map of the race course circling the lakes and thought that the scenery combined with a long run in the woods would make for a pleasant day. This was my 21st marathon and it was easily the toughest course I have ever run... and I have done other "mountain and trail" marathons.
A good 75% of the trail is covered with large roots and rocks. Be advised that this is a tough track. I spent most of the race studying the ground immediately in front of me and choosing places for my footsteps. The lakes were right there, but I seldom saw them. I tripped and fell four times - all on the second half. No big elevation changes, but nearly constant turns, dips and climbs.
I hope this doesn't sound like a list of complaints. At the end of the day, I felt a real sense of accomplishment and even placed first in my division.
My point is that before you enter this event, make sure you are wearing a good pair of trail running shoes, have strong ankles, and are prepared to be as worn out mentally as you are physically.
My sincere congratulations to the race organizers and to everyone who completed this race. It was an experience I won't soon forget.'
So, it warn’t just me… Love, Dad
I would say around 90% of the trail is roots and rocks, not 75% "
I believe my dad's time for this marathon was 7 hrs. 13 min. and 5 sec. He was the oldest participant at the age of 65 (he'll be 66 in 2 months). He seems to be planning a 50K (in March in Birmingham I believe) next which is about 31 miles instead of 26. He said on this triple lakes course he fell seven times, once even smashing his face on a flat rock. If you click on the link to the pictures you can see he finished the race with some pretty bloody knees. http://www.backprint.com/view_user_event.asp?S=20&PID=bp%19%7FNw&EVENTID=58473&PWD=&BIB=335 He seems to be thoroughly enjoying himself with all of this craziness and we are all really proud of him!
2 comments:
No wonder you have run so many triathlons, its in your blood! Congrats to your Dad that is truly inspiring.
Holy crap, what a man! When I feel like running I take a nap until the feeling goes away.
Good for him! He looks like a skinny Nick.
Post a Comment